Highly Experienced Nursing Operations Professional
More than 20 years of clinical and nursing management experience with progressive responsibility for operations, staff recruitment and development and patient care quality for acute-care hospitals.
A highly experienced nurse professional with proven skills in team-building and improving staff morale.
Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, California 2002-Present
Director, Telemetry Unit
Oversaw 24-hour operations of a 33-bed telemetry/ step-down unit with medical and surgical patients for a major medical center. Managed 69 FTES staff and a $6 million budget.
- Spearheaded a recruitment strategy that resulted in the hiring and training of 30 staff including four charge nurses.
- Eliminated traveler staff and decreased registry usage, saving more than $1 million per year.
- Reduced staff turnover from 20% to less than 5% through improving staff selection and cultivating teamwork.
- Collaborated with information systems in the creation of an automated quality improvement audit tool tied to computerized charting. Eliminated manual chart audits, enabling immediate access to quality information.
Anaheim Memorial Medical Center, Anaheim, California 1978-2002
Manager, ICU/Telemetry Units and Staffing Office (2002)
Held 24-hour responsibility for a 32-bed intensive care unit and a 44-bed telemetry unit. Accountable for 175 FTEs.
- Facilitated the development of a cardiac services product line through restructuring patient care units and reassigning staff.
- Centralized traveler and registry contracts into the staffing office, improving daily monitoring and the control of contract labor costs.
Director, Inpatient Services (1998-2001)
Managed all inpatient units with 210 combined beds including medical-surgical, intensive care, telemetry and transitional care.
- Facilitated the successful integration of staff from a competing hospital (Martin Luther King) following their acquisition through proactive communications and support.
- Led the preparation for a successful JCAHO survey.
- Developed a bonus payment program for staff working extra shifts, minimizing registry use.
- Authored the customer service section of the clinical competency assessment tool that was implemented system-wide.
Manager, Medical-Surgical Units, Telemetry Units and Critical Care Units (1993-1998)
Oversaw unit operations and quality outcomes for 164 beds.
- Provided nursing leadership during a major hospital redesign that involved changing the staffing model and staff/patient ratios and redesigning the physical structures of some of the units.
- Participated in the merger of the hospital with Memorial Healthcare Services.
Assistant House Supervisor, 3-11 shift and Assistant Supervisor, Medical-Surgical Unit (1987-1993)
Provided general supervision of the hospital on the 3-11 shift and managed staffing for the nursing department for the 11-7 shift.
- Conducted follow-up on incidents and assisted in evaluations and formal/informal coaching and counseling.
Assistant Supervisor and Charge Nurse, Medical-Surgical Unit (1982-1987)
Registered Nurse, ICU (1982-1983)
Registered Nurse, Medical-Surgical and Orthopedic Units (1978-1982)
Began career as a staff nurse in medical-surgical and orthopedics. Worked in critical care and provided direct care to multi-system failure, neuro, trauma and open-heart patients.
Chapman University, Orange, California
Bachelor of Science, Health Science, 1992
Cypress College, Cypress, California
Associate of Science, Nursing, 1978
Memorial Academy, Long Beach, California
Graduate, a yearlong program advanced leadership and hospital operations, 1999
Orange Coast College, Costa Mesa, California
Critical Care Training Program, 2002