Talented Healthcare Administrator & Renal Director
A highly talented healthcare administrator who has held increasing responsibilities in hospital operations including renal and transplant departments, finance and budget, strategic planning and contracting management for three major hospitals and one medical group.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in Medicare and HMO reimbursement, staff management, contracting, quality improvement processes, and strategic and financial planning.
St. Joseph Health System, St. Joseph Hospital of Orange, Orange, California 1995-2005
Business Director, Renal Services (2002-2005)
Directed the dialysis program and kidney transplant center business activities for a not-for-profit, acute-care hospital with 400 beds. Supervised up to 100 clinical, professional and clerical staff supporting 35 transplants and 33,000 dialysis treatments annually.
- Created and implemented a $20 million annual budget that exceeded the established contribution margins.
- Prepared for a JCAHO inspection of the hospital, ambulatory and DME areas, passing 100%.
- Worked closely with the hospital's billing office to ensure appropriate reimbursement for dialysis services and kidney transplants.
- Assisted in identifying and reporting all hospital transplant costs related to Medicare for its annual cost report.
Consultant, Renal Management (1999-2002)
Provided expertise on dialysis and kidney transplant billing and reimbursement for the hospital and a freestanding dialysis facility. Managed the Renal Services Department for three years as an outside consultant. Prepared and managed an $18 million Renal Services Department budget.
Identified and implemented performance improvements that streamlined patient care and lowered operating costs by 2%.
Prepared the Renal Services Department that provided dialysis and kidney transplants for a JCAHO inspection; received a no deficiencies rating.
Chief Operating Officer, Orange Coast Renal Centers (OCRC), Inc., attached to St. Joseph Hospital of Orange (1996-1999)
Managed the hospital-based Renal Center, a freestanding dialysis facility, and the hospital's kidney transplant program. Oversaw all operations including equipment, facility management, personnel, contracts, billing, strategic planning and physician relations.
- Prepared planning for the construction of the second freestanding dialysis facility.
- Set up and managed the OCRC' s employee benefits package including retirement, profit sharing, insurance, liability coverage and incentive bonuses.
- Performed due diligence for the sale of the company to the Renal Research Institute in New York City.
- Set up and managed the company's payroll system for 25 professionals.
Business Director, St. Joseph Hospital of Orange, Renal Services (1995-1996)
Oversaw the administrative operational and financial activity of the hospital-based dialysis and kidney transplant programs. Managed the department's budget, accounting, staffing, training, scheduling and regulatory operations. Prepared the department's five-year strategic plan.
- Acted as liaison between the hospital and various federal and state agencies for regulatory and billing issues.
- Evaluated transplant policies to insure compliance with UNOS.
- Implemented quality improvement processes (FOCUS-PDCA) for clinical operations.
Healthcare Partners Medical Group, Los Angeles, California 1993-1994
Financial Planning & Analysis Manager
Reported to the Controller on the analysis and reporting of HMO financial performance on capitation and shared risk accruals for use in contract negotiations with leading HMOs.
- Designed and implemented internal controls, forecasting and contractual settlements reports.
- Provided monthly statistical reports and P&L statements to senior management on participating members.
Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, Long Beach, California 1986-1993
Manager of Cost Accounting/Decision Support (1992-1993)
Reported to the Chief Financial Officer for maintaining a comprehensive decision support system for pricing of services.
- Put into service a decision support system that had not been previously implemented. The system permitted the hospital to better manage its cost of services.
Senior Market Planner & Research Analyst (1989-1992)
Conceptualized and evaluated plans for identifying, developing and introducing new products. Performed market, operational and financial projections for business development. Supervised marketing trainees and physician referral representatives.
- Developed product line formats that improved the senior management decision making process.
- Designed logic and format for the Management Executive Information System (EIS) software, resulting in online information access on a daily basis (Dashboard).
- Implemented the physicians' referral program that improved awareness of hospital services and increased revenue by $3 million.
- Designed and implemented an automated product line tracking program that improved managers' results.
Senior Financial Analyst (1986-1989)
Analyzed the financial performance of the hospital. Assisted the Financial Planning Director in setting financial objectives for the hospital.
- Prepared the Annual Report for OSHPD, a state mandated report on all services and costs.
- Conducted proforma financial analyses for two new service lines, the Women's Health Center and its $35 million budget, and the Cancer Center with a budget of $20 million.
Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital, Whittier, California 1984-1986
Prepared monthly financial statements, cash flow and net income for a 400-bed acute-care hospital. Reviewed monthly performance of subsidiaries (Home Health, DME and Hospice). Prepared annual consolidated budgets and proforma financial statements as well as financial statements for entities and the parent company.
- Successfully implemented the general ledger computer conversion.
- Reduced the Annual Audit time-frame by 15% due to comprehensive documentation of intercompany transactions.
New Vistas Systems, West Covina, California 1983-1984
Prepared and analyzed monthly financial statements for a company that developed and presented educational programs as well managed day care centers and after school programs. Reviewed and analyzed ongoing programs. Prepared projections for mergers and acquisitions.
- Developed the company's first long-range plan.
- Set up the company's first criteria-based standards for staff performance evaluation and the company's performance evaluation of all its programs.
Claremont Graduate School, Claremont, California
Master of Business Administration, 1982
Dauphine University, Paris, France
Master of Financial Management, 1979
Sorbonne University, Paris, France
Bachelor of Business Administration, 1978
Other courses: Certificate in Human Resources - Employers Group, Certificate in Mediation - Los Angeles County Bar Association, Certificate in Project Management - Online Course, seminars in management of transplantation and healthcare financial management
American College of Healthcare Executives
Healthcare Financial Management Association
Women in Health Administration