Quality Assurance Engineer
A versatile quality assurance engineer with ten years of progressively increasing responsibilities in managing test departments for sophisticated electro-mechanical manufacturers, including printers, security equipment and commercial electronics. Seeks a growth opportunity with a multi-national manufacturer of electronics and/or electro-mechanical products.
Zebra Technology Corporation, Camarillo, California 2001-Present
Quality Assurance Senior Technician
Tested and verified functionality and design of all new and existing card printer products for the largest specialty label printing company serving the automotive, pharmaceutical, postal, medical, financial, retail distribution, warehousing, defense, transportation and shipping industries with sales of more than $700 million. Supervised a testing team of three technicians.
- Analyzed, debugged and repaired electronic/mechanical card printer defective units. Processed 15-20 units per week valued at $30,000 to $40,000 and salvaged more than 50%.
- Prepared written reports of final test results for publication and distribution.
- Provided the Engineering Department with analyses of defective components and systems in returned equipment for future improvement. This included suggestions on how to remedy design and performance.
- Tested software, hardware and firmware according to product specifications for more than 30 models and prototypes.
- Performed beta-testing failure analyses for card printer print heads, including a microscopic inspection of each defect. Prepared reports on electro-mechanical defects for engineering change orders.
- Implemented and wrote design, validation and testing documentation, including procedures for Quality Assurance Lab personnel.
Johnson Controls, Inc. (purchased Cardkey, Inc. in 1999), Simi Valley, California 1994-2001
Set up and installed testing hardware and software to test access controls for an alarm systems manufacturer producing key card systems for homes, jails, police, security, banks, government and business applications with $20 million in annual revenues. Supervised five testing technicians.
- Troubleshot and repaired units for mechanical and software problems using analog and digital testing equipment.
- Evaluated new designs and repaired non-functional boards with feedback to Engineering for design changes.
- Participated in new product releases to Manufacturing from initial design to finished products.
- Reviewed and improved test reporting procedures for the Engineering Department.
- Assisted the Engineering and Manufacturing Departments with specific product problems in design, production and final test.
- Trained five technicians in testing procedures, equipment, debugging, analysis and reporting.
Cylix Corporation, Westlake Village, California 1989-1994
Quality Assurance Engineer
Verified test data and analyzed finished products for a manufacturer of surge protection equipment used on computers and servers.
- Tested, analyzed, calibrated and diagnosed failures on prototype production and worked with the engineering staff on creating new and updated products.
- Evaluated new designs, modified specifications and debugged non-functional boards.
- Wrote test procedures and reported test results.
- Inspected incoming components and maintained the inventory of raw materials.
- Directed production and maintained all test and production equipment.
California State University, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, 1989
Glendale College, Glendale, California
Associate of Science, Electronics Engineering Technology, 1987
Vista, Win XP, Lantastic, ProComm Plus, CloseUp, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Works, MS Visio, MS Project, MS PowerPoint, Win 98, DOS, Win NT, Win 2000 and Win ME
Oscilloscopes, function generators, DC power supplies, analog and digital multi-meters, frequency counters, logic probes and Elguard (for testing voltage)
Languages: English, Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese), French and Vietnamese