Experienced Quality Assurance Engineer/Manager
A versatile Quality Assurance Engineer/Manager with more than 20 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in inspecting electro-mechanical products for a leading label and card printing company, a magnetic recording company and a disk manufacturer.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in working with all types of inspection equipment for dimension, surface finish, physical and electrical testing. Fully knowledgeable in the inspection of plastics, metals, hardware, PC boards, power supplies, cable connectors and finished products. An experienced manager who has set up and led several Material Review Boards and oversaw inspection teams of up to 20 inspectors.
Zebra Technologies, Inc., Camarillo, California 1995-2006
Senior Supplier Quality Engineer (2005-2006)
Senior Quality Assurance Engineer (1995-2005)
Performed quality control analysis on incoming parts and materials and work-in-process for a label printer manufacturer with sales of $650 million. Interfaced with suppliers in Japan, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Mexico and the United States concerning quality issues.
- Surveyed and worked with more than 300 vendors on the quality of their products. This included regular visits to factories for in-the-field quality reviews. Fluency in Chinese facilitated on-site visits in China. Dealt with quality issues directly with operators and written documents.
- Established communication channels with key suppliers on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Worked with U.S. suppliers and their Chinese and Taiwanese facilities to validate their off-shore production.
- Set up and implemented a Statistical Process Control System (SPC) at 36 key suppliers that provided monthly statistical data on components and assemblies prior to shipment. Worked with each vendor to identify problems and necessary corrections for future production.
- Led Material Review Board meetings that included engineering, purchasing and suppliers to resolve quality issues on a daily basis. Key defects included dimensions, functions, workmanship, design specifications, materials and inspection procedures.
- Fully knowledgeable on all mechanical and electronic measuring tools.
- Participated in qualifying the Camarillo facility for ISO 9000 and each year conducted an audit of compliance. Assisted four suppliers to qualify for ISO 9000.
- Assisted suppliers and in-house manufacturing to increase quality, achieving a 99% First Passed Yield (FPY).
- Qualified vendors to ship components and assemblies directly into stock.
- Coordinated with the Engineering Department in preparing validation test criteria for new products.
Devon Industries, Inc., Chatsworth, California 1993-1995
Quality Control Engineer/Supervisor
Supervised the Quality Assurance Department consisting of ten inspectors for a surgical kits manufacturer with 300 employees.
- Created work-in-process inspection procedures for more than 1,500 SKUs and performed validation testing for new products.
- Qualified 112 domestic suppliers.
- Assisted in getting the plant back in operation within two weeks after the January 17, 1994 Northridge Earthquake. The plant and offices had been severely damaged.
Datatape Incorporated, Pasadena, California 1985-1993
Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
Directed the Quality Assurance Department functions for the Receiving Department with a team of five inspectors. Oversaw quality control for specific government projects with a production cycle of more than 12 months for a military manufacturer producing Air Force reconnaissance recorders. Total staff was 1,200.
- Chaired the company Material Review Board (MRB) for all quality issues.
- Dealt with government inspectors and complied with military specifications MIL-Q-9858A, MIL-I-45208 and MIL-C-45662A.
- Prepared inspection instructions and test procedures.
- Performed project program audits and failure analyses with emphasis on corrective action and resolution of quality problems.
- Designed inspection fixtures and related tools for inspecting printing heads and metal parts.
Memorex Corporation, Cerritos, California 1978-1985
Quality Assurance Engineer, Westlake Village, California (1982-1985)
Provided quality control support in moving production from the Fullerton plant to the company's new Westlake facility. Established a Material Review Board for the company's new line of IBM memory disks (Model 3680). Directed a team of five inspectors.
- Designed inspection fixtures and tooling.
- Provided test procedures and reporting for R&D testing of new products.
- Generated and implemented Statistical Process Controls for the new line of products.
Quality Control Supervisor, Fullerton, California (1980-1982)
Supervised the Receiving and Work-in-Process Departments' inspection operations, processing 200 SKUs supporting $150 million in sales. Managed a team of 15 inspectors.
- Planned, developed and implemented inspection methods.
- Visited and surveyed 20 vendors qualifying production and inspection methods.
Quality Assurance Engineer, Fullerton, California (1978-1980
Created and led the company's first Material Review Board dealing with engineering, purchasing, manufacturing engineering and quality assurance for a manufacturer of memory disks with $100 million in sales. Led a team of five inspectors inspecting 50 SKUs.
- Prepared and implemented quality control instructions for the Receiving, Manufacturing and Testing Departments.
- Designed and developed inspection methods and fixtures.
Senior Electro-Mechanical Inspector for General Instrument Corporation. Inspected manufactured products including memory drums, printing heads, precision machine parts and printed circuit boards. Process Control Technician for China Airlines.
West Coast University, Los Angeles, California
Master of Science, Systems Engineering
Taiwan Provincial Institute, Taiwan, Republic of China
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering
Languages: English and Chinese
Statistical Process Control (SPC): QI Micros Excel, Boeing DI-9000 Advanced Quality System (AQS)
| Inspection Equipment:
||Brown & Sharpe CMM (Micro 765), Micro Scope (Leitz LIBRA),
||TP-301 Optical Measuring Projector
||Mitutoyo Surface Analyzer - CBH-400, Roundness tester RA-112,
||Optical Measuring Projector - PJ303, Laser Micrometer - LSM-9602