A versatile programmer analyst with 20 years of diverse experience in programming, training staff, program maintenance, problem solving, interpreting data, creating data sets and reporting for a world-class medical center and a leading California university.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SKILLS
Programming Languages: SQL, FORTRAN
Operating Systems: Windows NT/2000/XP, MVS (TSO)
Business Intelligence Tools: Brio, Crystal Reports
Database Management Systems: Oracle 10g, MS Access
Statistical Programs: SAS
Other Desktop Software: MS Word, MS EXCEL, MS Outlook
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 1991-Present
Programmer Analyst - Finance Department (1998-Present)
Develop and maintain hospital productivity reports that incorporate budget and bi-weekly revenue, employee work hours and units of service for each department for California's largest non-profit, acute-care medical center with more than 800 beds.
- Developed and maintained the hospital's late charge reports using Brio. Reports compare posted patient charges with service date charges and summarize data by department, director and vice president levels. These reports are distributed to 25 executives responsible for the total management of the medical center.
- Extracted demographic and financial data from the data warehouse for ad hoc reports with a wide range of available parameters using SAS, SQL and Brio.
Programmer Analyst - Enterprise Information Services (1997-1998)
Designed and maintained the Medical Center's patient Decision Support System including CARDS (a SAS database of more than 500,000 patients), Trendstar (another patient database) and interfaces between the two applications.
- Analyzed SAS legacy programs and assisted in their conversion from a mainframe environment to an Oracle client/server environment using Brio, PC SAS and SQL.
- Enhanced the production job stream, improving the handling of data.
- Performed on-going system maintenance of Trendstar.
- Enhanced the interface to Trendstar, improving data quality.
Programmer Analyst - Information Service Systems (1991-1997)
Developed multi-system interfaces and maintained support system projects including complex financial extracts, a census reporting system and a patient survey selection process.
- Maintained SAS format libraries.
- Created an interface between an IMS database and a SAS production files system.
- Developed revenue recovery programs and analyzed financial data which saved the medical center more than $3 million, using SAS statistical procedures.
- Received a special commendation from the Manager of Pharmacy Services for a project that analyzed the pattern of prescription delivery to each hospital department.
- Analyzed patient data for coronary artery bypass grafts and thoracic surgery, determining severity of outcomes at different hospitals.
University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 1980-1991
Programmer - Consultant, Office of Academic Computing (1985-1991)
Provided advice and trouble-shooting on the selection of software, program design and networking for UCLA faculty and researchers.
- Installed, maintained and interpreted IBM manuals and other documentation for users.
- Programmed, installed and resolved problems for new software including: IBM OS/JCL and utilities, FORTRAN, Pascal, statistical packages, IBM Script V/S and networking software (e-mail, FTP and remote logon).
- Installed and made available to general users the following packages on MVS: SPEAKEZ, SIMULA, ABACUS, TROLL, SPSSX graphics, Disspla graphics and SAS graphics.
- Taught classes on Wylbur editor and OS/JCL.
Operator, Office of Academic Computing (1980-1985)
Performed a variety of duties including mounting of data tapes, printing and distributing reports, backing up data and training new employees.
University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, 1986
Other Courses: PeopleSoft, SQL and SAS workshops
Standing Ovation Award, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center