Versatile Publishing/Print Professional
A versatile publishing/print professional with 15 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in the creative production, print/bind manufacturing and mail distribution of 555 million consumer catalogs for the world's largest entertainment company and a leading women's mail order firm, resulting in more than $1 billion in sales revenues.
Expertise includes extensive print, paper and pre-press experience with outstanding negotiations, analytical, sales, marketing and purchasing skills. A personable manager who leads by building winning creative and production teams.
The Walt Disney Company, Disney Shopping, Inc., Glendale, California 1995-Present
Director of Production
Directed print manufacturing and mail distribution operations for Disney's consumer mail order catalog program, representing 17-22 unique catalogs per year (48-144 pages each) with print quantities of 25-60 million copies. Planned, negotiated and reconciled $17-$35 million annual operating budgets. Supervised the production, photography, catalog scheduling and budgeting with four managers.
- Developed a request for proposal (RFP) for key industry vendors that facilitated securing advantageous company partnerships.
- Established outstanding key vendor relationships that secured optimal pricing, rebates and contractual benefits.
- Negotiated four comprehensive print manufacturing contracts, resulting in $2.6 million savings.
- Eliminated the inserted order blank from all catalogs, resulting in an annual savings of $300,000 to $900,000 depending on annual print quantities.
- Renegotiated print pricing for Disney Lithographs, resulting in $400,000 in first year savings.
- Managed broker and paper mill relationships that secured uninterrupted supplies of quality specific papers while maximizing all available saving opportunities and inventory levels.
- Secured $3.4 million in paper savings by negotiating proprietary paper agreements and cultivating relationships with emerging paper mills, as well as selling, scraping and trading out old inventory.
- Directed management of the annual catalog production schedule for the Merchandising, Marketing, Finance and Creative Departments as well as five outside vendors. Each catalog edition required 20 plus processes and/or approval deadlines prior to customer receipt.
- Managed the creative production process from layout to final approved pages. Enhanced and approved all final images, ensuring accurate color and technical standards were met. This entailed supervising and approving actual print runs for each catalog.
- Directed the entire mailing process of up to 53 million catalogs annually, maximizing postal discounts, controlling expenses and assuring on-time delivery.
- Negotiated contractual vendor distribution guarantees that resulted in limiting the average cost per mailed catalog to $.23-$.26.
- Introduced new technologies for catalog production, reducing costs and improving quality.
La Costa Products International, Carlsbad, California 1991-1995
Created and managed an annual budget of $7.2 million for the production and distribution of 12-14 million catalogs annually for a privately held ladies' apparel/personal care products mail order company with annual sales of $30 million. Approved final images for color accuracy and technical standards, including the supervision of print runs. Directed RFP processes for design firms, art directors, photographers, catalog printers and paper suppliers, resulting in the selection of outstanding vendors.
- Established an in-house Creative Production Department, eliminating an annual expense of $250,000 for an outside agency while improving productivity. Implementation included recruiting and selection of graphic artists; purchasing computers, printers and scanners; and establishing new scheduling priorities.
- Scheduled internal and external production functions with 12-process deadlines for each edition while ensuring on-time customer receipt.
RCA Business Telephone Systems, Inc., San Diego, California 1988-1991
Managed contract administration of sales and lease agreements for a telecommunications company with $40 million in annual sales of telephone, voicemail and automated attendant commercial phone systems. Prepared and reconciled sales data for processing of compensation and sales commissions for the sales team. Managed accounts payable and general office management functions. Coordinated details of the company's relocation.
Extended Service Contract Administrators, Inc., San Diego, California 1985-1989
Managed the administration of a $20 million extended vehicle service warranty company that sold its products through a national network of 20 service agencies. Assured compliance with program regulations, service standards and pricing structure. Reconciled quarterly sales data and processed payments for agency compensation and commissions. Coordinated claim procedures and reimbursement processing for 300 automobile dealerships. Participated in annual events for recognizing the most successful agencies in the network.
Rough Country, Inc., El Cajon, California 1981-1984
Managed sales order administration, tracking and reporting for an automobile parts after-market manufacturer and distributor with more than $10 million in annual sales. Participated in trade shows and promotional functions. Generated information for sales commissions and compensation for the sales staff. Maintained the company's database of products and customers.
The Broadway Department Store, San Diego, California 1978-1980
Assistant Manager Ladies Accessories
Managed 13 ladies accessory departments and 12 sales associates including sales training, scheduling, handling cash and credit cards, and stocking. Created merchandise displays, managed storage space and coordinated inventory levels. Generated sales reports.
Southwestern Junior College, Chula Vista, California
Disney Coach's Award - Outstanding Job Performance