Award-Winning Public Relations Professional
An award-winning public relations professional who has created internal and external communications programs, organized tradeshow exhibits, created annual reports and collateral materials, and authored speeches and articles for a leading public utility, hospitals, aerospace and consumer products companies.
Expertise includes outstanding publications and design management, editing, media relations, crisis communications, employee relations and broadcasting.
Southwest Water Company, Los Angeles, California 2001-2007
A national water utility management company with $300 million in sales and 1,400 employees
Communications Project Manager (2002-2007)
Communications Specialist (2001-2002)
Created and produced a monthly employee newsletter, collateral materials, brochures, posters, advertising and proposals (RFQ and RFP) for water services contracts. Designed exhibits and managed logistics for the company's participation in trade shows.
- Created and managed a community outreach program for the city of San Juan Capistrano, which kept residents informed about construction schedules and progress on a new $31 million reverse osmosis water treatment plant.
- Created logos and names for the company's profit centers and subsidiaries.
- Standardized the request-for-proposal process.
- Designed and rewrote the employee handbook.
- Provided printed materials and collateral support to 200 contracted locations for special events and programs.
- Wrote speeches and letters for the CEO and other senior executives.
- Designed a 20' by 20' tradeshow exhibit. Managed exhibit logistics in Texas and California. Created supporting handouts, reception invitations and signage.
- Narrated the employee orientation DVD as well as wrote, produced and narrated the hazardous materials safety video for the Burbank Superfund water treatment site.
- Set guidelines and structure for the company's intranet.
- Wrote, designed and placed the company's advertising in industry publications.
Independent Writer/Public Relations Consultant, Altadena, California 1999-2001
- Managed media relations for a Metrolink press event on crossing safety, resulting in a large turnout with excellent press coverage.
- Managed public relations for a charitable arts event sponsored by the Pep Boys auto parts chain.
- Created print and radio advertising for Donated Property Systems, Inc.
- Wrote grant proposals that obtained $2 million for the Glendale YMCA and $500,000 for Options House, a residential shelter for runaway teens in Hollywood, California.
- Designed collateral materials and a logo for Five Acres, a prominent foster care facility.
- Wrote collateral materials and website content for the Air Quality Management District of Southern California.
- Wrote articles for Just Jazz Guitar and Vintage Guitar magazines, the Encyclopedia of Popular Music, and the Pasadena Star News.
- Acted as the West Coast contributing editor for Guitar World magazine.
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Hollywood, California 1991-1999
Produced newsletters, collateral materials and an employee handbook, as well as led the development and implementation of a new graphic identity for a 283-bed pediatric hospital and trauma center with a $468 million annual budget and 3,000 employees.
- Designed, wrote and published an award-winning annual report.
- Produced and edited the quarterly fundraising magazine, Imagine the Possibilities.
- Wrote, designed and produced the weekly printed and electronic employee newsletter. Inaugurated "all-points" voicemail broadcasts. Managed the hospital's graphic standards.
- Managed the development of the hospital's first website.
- Wrote, produced and narrated a popular video shown to new hires, covering the hospital's history and organizational values. Produced related posters and handouts.
- Managed special community events and educational seminars. Provided collateral materials in support of the hospital's annual participation in the Children's Miracle Network fundraising telethon.
- Wrote speeches and letters for the CEO and COO.
AMI Medical Center of North Hollywood, North Hollywood, California 1990-1991
Public Relations Manager
Produced employee, physician, community and volunteer newsletters, the president's report, collateral materials, brochures, flyers and press kits for a 200-bed general hospital with 2,000 employees. Promoted the hospital's products and services to the media, managed media visits and acted as the hospital's spokesperson.
- Managed the hospital's Adopt-A-School program.
- Represented the hospital as a member of nine separate chambers of commerce.
Rocketdyne, Canoga Park, California 1988-1990
An aerospace and defense manufacturing division of Boeing
Senior Communications Specialist
Managed internal communications for three sites with 8,500 employees. Assisted in media relations, crisis communications, VIP events, production of employee videos and other special assignments in support of the Space Shuttle program.
- Wrote, designed and produced a semi-monthly eight-page employee newspaper.
- Introduced an interactive voicemail system, and wrote and recorded 'Info Line' news updates twice a day. Introduced scrolling electronic message boards.
Valley Presbyterian Hospital, Van Nuys, California 1985-1988
Media Relations Representative (1985-1986)
Public Relations Director (1986-1988)
Managed a five-member department providing internal and external public relations for an acute care general hospital.
- Published the weekly employee newsletter, annual report and collateral materials.
- Taught customer relations classes to the hospital's staff and managed the Adopt-A-School program.
- Acted as the hospital's media spokesperson. Created a computerized system for sending and tracking public service announcements, and evaluating results using Arbitron and readership figures. Scored placements with the "Today" show, CNN, Los Angeles Times, wire services, TV and radio.
- Wrote and produced a 100,000-copy community newsletter, linking distribution to census and demographic data.
- Co-produced an award-winning employee orientation video.
N.W. Ayer, Inc., Los Angeles, California 1983-1985
A national advertising and public relations agency
Managed public relations programs for three music divisions of Yamaha International Corporation.
- Wrote and targeted consumer and trade press releases, coordinated TV and movie product placements, and attended key trade shows (NAMM and CES). Arranged national media tours as well as made TV and radio appearances on Yamaha's behalf.
- Wrote and produced a dealer product newsletter. Created a modular print ad kit and public relations special event guide for use by retailers.
- Achieved promotional exposure for new company products on CBS's Morning News and ABC's Good Morning America, regional television programs, newspapers, and trade publications.
- Wrote the State of the City Speech for the Mayor of Baldwin Park, California, as well as articles for Units and OpFlow magazines. Managed media relations, staging and Secret Service liaison for an appearance by First Lady Hillary Clinton at Covenant House in Hollywood, California.
- Hosted and produced daily programs in several radio formats in Kansas City and Santa Monica.
- Scripted and produced health segments on KTTV news and produced weekly health programs concurrently on three Los Angeles radio stations (KMGG, KCRW and KIEV) that were hosted by a physician and arranged appearances for him on the Merv Griffin Show, USA Network and CNN, including coverage in area newspapers and national wire services. Produced a related mail-order cassette series.
- Produced and hosted a nightly three-hour music, video and interview television show that was profiled in Billboard magazine and won a National Cable Television Association award for innovative programming.
- Taught "Fundamentals of Public Relations" and "Public Relations Techniques" at California State University, Northridge.
- Taught "Introduction to Broadcast Performance" at University of Kansas.
University of Southern California, Annenberg School for Communication, Los Angeles, California
Master of Arts, Communications Management
University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
Bachelor of Science, Journalism (Radio-TV-Film), minors in Music History and German
Certificates in Interaction Management, Team Facilitation, Leading Process Improvement Teams, and FrontLine Leadership. Diploma, Guitar Performance, Musicians Institute. Workshops in design, public relations and editing.
- In-house Design, Newsletter, Award, Graphic Design USA magazine, 2007
- APEX Grand Award: Annual Report. Other APEX Awards: Editorial, Special Reports, New Magazine, Annual Report, Press Release, One-Person Newsletter
- Hospital Public Relations Management Association Silver Anvil Awards: Annual Report, Website, Newsletter
- Public Relations Society of America Prism Award: Internal Communications Program
- International Association of Business Communicators ACE Awards: News Story, Newspaper Design
Chair, Advisory Board, Institute of Arts & Multimedia at Los Angeles Mission College, Sylmar, California (current)
Expert in PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign, PowerPoint, Excel, MS Word, Access and Act applications.