Innovative Direct Marketing Executive
A creative and innovative direct marketing executive with 20 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in setting up and managing customer service and distribution centers that have processed 40 million contacts (calls and e-mails) and generated $2.5 billion revenues for the largest specialty retailer in the United States as well as a major apparel catalog.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in merchandising, promotional e-mail distribution, print catalog, inventory planning, budgeting, recruitment and training of sales/customer service staff, and strategic planning.
The Walt Disney Company, Glendale, California & Overland Park, Kansas 1993-Present
Director of Operations, DisneyShopping.com (2005-Present)
Director of Operations & Disney's OnStage Call Center, DisneyShopping.com (1993-2005)
Manage customer service and fulfillment for Disney's online retail merchandising with $150 million in annual revenues and 7,000 SKUs. Oversaw a 500,000 square foot semi-automated warehouse in South Carolina with up to 500 employees. Managed a 300-seat call center.
- Redesigned customer facing touchpoints and developed a service strategy in the transition of the business unit's model to 100% online with the elimination of a printed catalog. This facilitated less dependence on a printed catalog while making online ordering more user friendly.
- Developed a strategy and directed the project management team in the selection of a third party provider for the outsourcing of the business unit's customer care operations, resulting in a $2 million annual fixed cost reduction.
- Reduced variable operating costs by 40% with the implementation of an offshore strategy for customer care e-mail and phone operations in The Philippines. This saved $2 million in annual costs.
- Achieved ten record setting performances in the Distribution Center during FY06-Q1, including sales fulfillment of $10 million per week, processing 541,000 units of incoming merchandise and personalizing 489,000 units.
- Organized and facilitated a 2006 Operations Summit, resulting in a strategic plan that initiated 75 action items and increased throughput, efficiency and quality. The plan resulted in 11 performance records for units shipped and personalized product processed. Variable costs per unit came down by 15% ($300,000).
- Generated $6 million in revenue by incorporating new sales techniques, using Disney characters and the entertainment value behind each product.
- Integrated telephone, mail and e-mail communications, increasing productivity by 7%.
- Directed a call center project team in the development and implementation of new technologies, including CommercialWare Mozart CMS, Lucent G3 ACD and Prologix ACD, Lucent Conversant IVR, Genesys Workforce Management and the NICE Quality Monitoring System, resulting in improved customer experience at lower costs.
- Designed a performance based incentive program that took into account average handle time and revenue per hour, resulting in a 45-second handle time reduction, a 95% customer satisfaction rating and a $50 increase in revenue per hour.
- Initiated and implemented a $5 million customer service contract with the resort and dining business at Walt Disney World, subscriptions to Disney Magazine, purchases from Disney Auctions, and reservation services for the Children's International Summit.
- Generated an additional $3 million in revenues by processing customer service needs for The Disney Club and The Disney Video Club.
- Reduced attrition by 50% with the introduction of a new service oriented culture.
- Negotiated a $182,000 credit from FedEx for incomplete deliveries and a credit of $60,000 with a third party customer care provider for service level failures during the 2005 holiday season.
- Established and maintained the largest employee Voluntears organization within DisneyShopping.com, exceeding 3,000 volunteer hours yearly.
- Headed a taskforce that eliminated errors in the content of mass e-mailings for the company. This process corrected more than 500,000 promotional e-mails per week.
- Created a process that trapped and corrected errors in next-day online promotions. This eliminated a serious problem of under-pricing, broken images and product mis-identification.
J. Crew Group, Inc., Lynchburg, Virginia 1985-1993
Director of Teleservices
Managed incoming telephone communications, which represented 95% of a specialty mail order retailer with $200 million in revenues. Oversaw 50 training, scheduling, operations and support services staff to cover all sales communications.
- Implemented an add-on commission plan for telephone sales of overstocked inventory, resulting in $2 million in incremental revenue.
- Reduced payroll cost/order by 33% as a result of improved forecast accuracy, increased productivity and training.
- Led the relocation of the company's teleservices operations from New Jersey to Virginia and North Carolina. The new facilities accommodated the business' rapid growth from 35 sales associates up to 700 with peaks of up to 2,000 during holiday periods.
Delmed, Inc., Howell Township, New Jersey 1983-1985
Customer Service Manager
Created and managed the first centralized Customer Service Department for a healthcare medical supply company with $50 million in revenues.
- Developed a homecare delivery program that educated patients on how the care program worked and coordinated monthly prescription deliveries.
- Created a better bond with patients by assigning service representatives to territories and creating teams for backups, allowing patient continuity in service.
- Directed the Customer Service Department's startup functions for home healthcare medical supplies to renal patients.
Served as a Customer Service Manager for a chemical company and as a Sales Representative for an industrial supply firm.
Rider University, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Union College, Cranford, New Jersey
Associate of Arts, Liberal Arts
Other courses: Diversity, Harassment in the Workplace, Global Leadership, Leadership Journey, Disney Day 1, Power Point, Sales, Marketing, Telecommunications
American Teleservices Association, Board Member
Operations & Fulfillment Magazine, Advisory Board Member
The Walt Disney Company Silver Spirit Award
The Disney Store Spirit Award