Successful Marketing & Product Development Executive
A successful marketing and product development professional with 20 years of increasing responsibilities in directing marketing programs and new product launches for world-class PC, peripherals and high-tech companies serving retail and business-to-business markets. These products generated $2.9 billion in revenues with margins of up to 68%.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in channel marketing, product management, lead generation, promotional programs, online marketing, public relations, advertising, events management and market research. A team builder who has attracted, developed and retained exceptional marketing talent.
Zebra Technologies, Inc., Camarillo, California 2003-2007
Director, Global Marketing
Managed worldwide marketing for the Card Printer Division of the world's largest specialty printer company, serving the automotive, pharmaceutical, postal, medical, financial, retail distribution, warehousing, defense, transportation and shipping industries with sales of more than $760 million.
- Led the company's card printer marketing operations, resulting in a 51% sales growth.
- Maintained relationships and supported 70 dealers and distributors globally.
- Built a channel marketing organization in North America, Latin America and Asia-Pacific. Enhanced marketing operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa, increasing dealer/distributor co-marketing activity by 45% and reseller sales by 35%.
- Increased online lead generation by 40% worldwide through analysis and optimization of online advertising, events and print advertising programs.
- Launched expanded public relations programs in North America, Europe, China and Latin America, resulting in hundreds of additional articles and press mentions.
- Developed and trained a marketing team of 15 professionals located in Singapore, London, Miami and Los Angeles.
- Managed an advertising/marketing budget of $4.5 million.
- Conducted primary market research covering the company's position in global markets and its brand value in sales channels.
- Led the redesign, content development and implementation of the company's card printer website, which was extended to 11 languages.
- Created worldwide advertising campaigns tailored to introduce company products to global regions, boosting advertising reach by 25%.
- Added advertising, branding and cross-selling to product packaging.
- Created an in-box CD-ROM instruction guide offering product information and training for six printer models.
- Developed and launched online and event training programs for resellers, sales and technical staff.
- Created customizable online collateral materials that supported cooperative marketing.
Brands-hatch Consulting Company, Los Angeles, California 2000-2003
Clients included Intel, USWeb/CKS, TBA Entertainment, Lumidigm, Elite.com and Intentia.
Fulfilled 17 consulting engagements. Projects included Interim Creative Director for the Intel Worldwide Sales & Marketing Meeting, a promotional video and Flash multimedia presentation for TBA Entertainment, creation of corporate identity and sales materials for a biotech startup, Interim Chief Marketing Officer for a startup dot com, and various marketing/sales projects for a multinational software company.
US SEARCH.com, Inc., Marina del Rey, California 1999-2000
Vice President, Marketing
Directed advertising and lead generation programs with a $24 million budget and product development projects for a publicly-traded information services business.
- Saved $2 million per year on the company's television- and web-based lead generation programs.
- Developed eight new products, moving the company into business-to-business categories.
- Developed a public relations crisis plan that was instrumental in deflecting a major incident.
- Redesigned the company's e-commerce website, increasing the conversion rate by 5%.
Silver Hammer, Santa Monica, California 1996-1998
Created and launched an Emmy Award-winning television broadcast design firm, providing on-air network branding campaigns and main titles for major TV series.
- Created a business strategy plan that obtained $1 million in startup funding.
- Built annual sales from zero to $4.5 million in two years.
- Clients included NBC, USA Network, Playboy TV, Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, Harpo Productions, Wolf Films, Warner Bros. and UK Channel 5.
- Two Emmy Awards: Daytime - Oprah and Primetime - Dark Skies. Received the Broadcast Design Association's Gold Award for the UK Channel 5.
Reveal Computer Products, Woodland Hills, California 1994-1996
Vice President, Marketing
Created the first Marketing Department for a privately owned $200 million computer peripherals company manufacturing multimedia kits, sound cards, CD-ROM drives, speakers, audio cards, video cards, keyboards and software. Managed 22 marketing and product management professionals. Oversaw a marketing budget of $15 million.
- Provided marketing and product management support during the company's sales growth from $200 to $240 million and improved its competitive position from #3 to #2 in the mass retail category. This facilitated the sale of the company to its #1 competitor.
- Introduced 15 new products that generated $20 million in incremental revenues.
- Redesigned retail packaging for the entire product line (100 SKUs), resulting in a significantly improved shelf position.
Seiko Epson Company/Parana Supplies, Torrance, California 1990-1994
Vice President, Sales & Marketing (1994)
Director of Marketing & Product Management (1990-1994)
Provided marketing support and product management for a startup company manufacturing branded and OEM printer consumables, a joint venture with Seiko Epson and a Japanese partner. Grew sales from zero to $25 million in four years.
- Penetrated very tight sales channels in office products, computer superstores, stationery and computer distribution.
- Expanded the company's product line from ribbons to include inkjet cartridges, laser toners and media products (CD-ROM labeling, magnetic sign, greeting cards and brochure kits).
- Established a Latin American market presence with $400,000 first year sales.
Apple Computer, Cupertino, California 1988-1990
Product Line Manager
Led the Apple product management team for all printer and display products, supporting revenues of $1 billion with ten product managers plus administrative staff.
- Launched five new products, including two laser printers, Apple's first inkjet printer, first large-format displays and the re-launch of the AppleFax Modem.
- Managed the renegotiation of the Adobe PostScript software license, saving more than 25% on future license fees.
- Directed the ImageWriter LQ printer customer satisfaction program, a major undertaking to rectify a problem product. Increased customer satisfaction by 50%.
Seiko Epson Company/Epson America, Torrance, California 1984-1988
Group Product Manager, Printers (1986-1988)
Managed a group of four product managers supporting all of the company's dot matrix printers, an inkjet printer and a laser printer, generating $400 million in U.S. revenues.
- Launched Epson's first inkjet printer, first laser printer and the company's enterprise class dot matrix printer.
- Conducted extensive market research studies to generate new products and improve new models. This included a conjoint analysis, focus groups and customer surveys.
Group Product Manager, PCs (1985-1986)
Product Manager, PCs (1984-1985)
Managed product management and marketing for all of Epson's personal computers, including CPM, notebooks and IBM compatibles with U.S. sales of $100 million.
- Launched Epson's first IBM-PC compatible desktop computers.
Columbia University, New York, New York
Master of Business Administration, Marketing & International Business
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
Bachelor of Computer Science