Innovative Sales & Retail Marketing Executive
An innovative and dedicated sales and retail marketing professional with 20 years of increasing responsibilities selling apparel, accessories, footwear, toys, home fashions, stationery and consumer electronics to world class retailers. Recruited, trained and led winning sales teams that have sold $3.3 billion in merchandise.
An intuitive and creative sales leader with natural relationship building skills, strong product insight, experience in multi-channel retail marketing, licensing and new business development. Consistently added value to each company.
The Walt Disney Company, Disney Consumer Products Division, Glendale, California 2003-2007
Vice President, Retail Sales & Marketing (2005-2007)
Managed business relations and sales for all licensed products in toys, home fashions, apparel, footwear, accessories and consumer electronics for a mass channel retailer, representing $376 million in retail sales for the world's largest licensing company. Developed senior level licensee and account relationships that significantly increased the Disney brand penetration at retail.
- Developed a business strategy that increased Disney's exposure in 2,300 stores nationally, improving retail sales by $78 million delivering a 55% increase over last year.
- Negotiated an exclusive agreement showcasing Disney's largest franchise at Sears, resulting in a "Best in Class" product shop within 900 stores, generating $42 million at retail, a $32 million increase over the prior year.
- Prepared and implemented six to ten major promotions per year covering live action and Disney/Pixar animated films as well as classic Disney franchises. These promotions generated upwards of 156% spikes in retail sales over the prior week, generating large re-orders for licensees and Disney.
- Partnered with the Disney Channel and Disney Consumer Products apparel business unit to introduce an exclusive line of Tween apparel at a mid-tier retailer. Negotiated a contract, generating $15 million in retail sales.
Vice President, Sales - Apparel, Accessories & Footwear (2003-2005)
Managed business relations and created a high-performing sales team for Disney licensed apparel, accessories and footwear for major U.S. department stores, mid-tier and mass channel retailers.
- Achieved a 15% increase in sales over the prior year through the recruitment of new sales talent and implementation of an improved business strategy and process.
- Sold new creative programs from core Disney franchises, generating increased brand recognition as well as sales for Disney and their licensees at key retailers, including Federated Department Stores, May Department Stores, Kohl's and Kmart.
- Defined and created unique strategies for Disney's key accounts as part of the company's five-year plan.
- Created a line of Tween apparel and accessories that increased sales by $5 million, utilizing Disney Channel and Radio Disney emerging Tween talent as spokespeople. This entailed close collaboration with the licensee, the retailer, Radio Disney and Disney Records.
Levi Strauss & Company, San Francisco, California 1991-2003
Dockers National Sales Director (2000-2003)
Led a team of sales representatives selling Dockers casual pants, shirts, shorts and dress pants to 20 regional and national retailers, representing $556 million in retail sales for a $3.5 billion global apparel manufacturer. Managed a $1 million personal marketing and sales budget.
- Built effective marketing and promotional campaigns that increased sales by an average of 12% over the prior year for three consecutive years.
- Under the pressure of intense competition for in-store real estate, created innovative marketing promotional events and continually upgraded the product offering, increasing product turn and profitability.
- Initiated the first licensee summit at key retailers that showcased all available Dockers product categories and, using brand synergy, increased company sales and royalties.
- Continually used training programs that sharpened the selling skills of the entire team.
Dockers Midwest Sales Manager for JC Penney, Chicago, Illinois (1997-2000)
Levi's Midwest District Manager, Chicago, Illinois (1993-1997)
Levi's Account Executive, San Francisco, California (1991-1993)
Began as an Account Executive for Carter Hawley Hale department stores for the Levi's brand. Promoted to Levi's District Sales Manager selling to Kohl's and other Midwest regional department stores. As Dockers Midwest Sales Manager, directed sales representatives and built senior level relationships at the company's largest retail account, JC Penney.
- Consistently attained above average sales-per-square-foot objectives for one of the most competitive lines in the apparel industry, selling more than $826 million at retail over nine years.
- Awarded District Manager of the Year.
Zylos, Inc. (by George Machado), Foster City, California 1986-1991
National Sales Manager
Revitalized marketing and sales for a faltering privately held clothing manufacturer.
- Created a re-positioning strategy and led the re-launch of the company's brand into the contemporary menswear market, expanding and upgrading the retail base. This entailed hiring a new sales team, opening sales offices in New York and Los Angeles, resulting in a $20 million sales growth.
- Generated significant free publicity with product releases, participation in trade shows, fashion editor contacts and several Daily News Record (DNR) covers.
- Successfully placed products in Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, Macy's and other high-end stores.
- Negotiated company shops in five Saks Fifth Avenue and ten Bloomingdale's locations. Hired and trained in-store sales support. These shops garnered press attention, built the brand and increased sales.
As District Manager for Ocean Pacific Sunwear, Inc., successfully sold to 15 department stores and multiple surf shops throughout the U.S.
San Diego State University, San Diego, California
Bachelor of Arts, Fashion Merchandising & Marketing
Continuing Education: Leadership, Diversity, Negotiating, Public Speaking, Selling, Organizational Development and Marketing