Experienced Maintenance Executive
A highly versatile and knowledgeable maintenance professional with 13 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in setting up and running complex multi-location maintenance operations for the nation's second largest facility management and business services maintenance company. Experienced in working with nursing homes, industrial laundries, hospitals, long-term care, and other large profit and non-profit clients.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in organization, program development, training, regulatory compliance, maintenance management, leadership training, budget control, safety, fire prevention and documentation.
Aramark, Inc., Uniform Services Division, Burbank, California 1993-2006
Corporate Maintenance Manager, Chicago, Illinois (2005-2006)
Provided maintenance management support for 76 laundry facilities located in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico for a $1.2 billion apparel rental services subsidiary of a $10 billion business-to-business services company.
- Selected a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) as part of a program to incorporate each facility into a company-wide maintenance system for optimization of maintenance expenditures.
- Developed and published maintenance best practices, policies, forms, procedures and references that were used by each laundry facility as part of a new maintenance common system.
- Created and implemented maintenance management training programs for 60 new managers for existing and nine acquired laundry facilities.
- Wrote and implemented standardized maintenance policies, procedures and checklists that were used in maintenance audits throughout the company.
Manager of Facility & Operations Management, The ServiceMaster Company, Chicago, Illinois (1999-2005) The ServiceMaster Company's Facilities Services Division was purchased by Aramark in 2001.
Wrote and instructed more than 100 managers located at 800 healthcare and educational profit and non-profit institutions. Subjects included maintenance management, policies and procedures, safety, regulatory compliance, and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
- Developed and conducted a one-day review course for company maintenance managers wishing to sit for the Certified Plant Maintenance Manager exam offered by the Association for Facilities Engineering. More than 400 maintenance managers took the test with a pass rate of 98%.
- Authored and distributed an online bi-weekly newsletter that informed managers of new regulations, changes in company policy, recalls on equipment, best maintenance practices and general information.
- Served as the company resource for all maintenance and technical issues for maintenance managers in the field, including Australia, Taiwan, Malaysia, China, Canada and the United States.
- Acted as the company liaison to the Association for Facilities Engineering, attending quarterly meetings, teaching courses and serving on numerous committees. Authored a significant part of the association's instruction manual and a Q & A column in the association's monthly magazine.
- Worked with the company's Safety Department in developing an electrical safety policy and code that was used at all managed facilities.
- Provided all managers with fire safety regulations and prevention information.
Director of Environmental Services, The ServiceMaster Company, Central Baptist Home, North, Illinois (1997-1999)
Managed 25 housekeeping, maintenance, laundry and security employees for a 200-bed, long-term care home owned by the Central Baptist Church. Managed an operations budget of $1.5 million.
- Developed safety regulations and instructed all staff on accident and fire prevention.
Director of Environmental Services, The ServiceMaster Company, St. Paul's House, Chicago, Illinois (1993-1997)
Managed 30 maintenance, housekeeping, laundry, security and grounds employees for a 200-bed, long-term care facility owned by the United Church of Christ. Managed a budget of $900,000.
- Wrote and implemented safety and fire prevention policies and procedures for the facility.
- Prepared all documentation and training for a JCAHO accreditation and passed without mention.
- Participated in preparing documentation for the unionization of all internal staff without incident.
- Set up budget controls that brought the facility back to budget from a 20% overage.
- Created and implemented an entirely new safety program that included documentation and training for all staff.
- Hired and trained staff in all departments.
- Oversaw several major construction projects.
Worked as an independent agent for a leading insurance and mutual fund company serving the military market. Previously, served in the U.S. Army as Lt. Colonel of manpower planning operations in the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
TEACHING & TRAINING EXPERENCE
Taught a manager's course for 60 people while at Aramark's Uniform Services Division.
Developed a curriculum for maintenance management and taught 120 managers while at ServiceMaster.
Taught a one-day review for 400+ maintenance managers for the Association for Facilities Engineering.
Taught a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) course for ServiceMaster.
Developed criteria for skills assessment for maintenance managers.
Created a maintenance management online library of instructional and technical reference materials.
Facilitated an accreditation test for maintenance technicians for the International Maintenance Institute.
Instructed 500 maintenance managers for passing the plant maintenance managers examination.
Taught military science for two years at Hofstra University.
Taught at the Command and General Staff College of Fort Leavenworth for three years.
Instructed cadets for three years at West Point Military Academy.
Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Master of Science, Physical Education
United States Military Academy, West Point, New York
Bachelor of Science, Engineering
Certified Healthcare Facility Manager, American Society for Healthcare Engineers, 2006
Certified Maintenance and Reliability Professional, SMRP, 2005
Six Sigma Green Belt Training, 2004
Certified Plant Engineer, Association for Facilities Engineering, 2003
Society for Maintenance & Reliability Professionals (SMRP)