Experienced Senior Mechanical Designer
A highly experienced senior mechanical designer who has worked in a variety of industries, including custom design, fabrication and installation of material handling systems, industrial printing equipment, and photo printing technology.
Skills include aesthetic and functional part design, prototyping complex electro-mechanical products, cost reduction through the use of molding and casting techniques, preparing prototype assemblies, laminating technology, costing, customer relations, product support, production, supervising complete installations, and purchasing.
Zebra Technologies, Inc., Warwick, Rhode Island 2000-2007
Mechanical Designer III (2004-2007)
Senior Mechanical Designer, Atlantek, Inc. (2001-2004)
Mechanical Designer, Atlantek, Inc. (2000-2001)
Developed prototypes of photo and ID card printers for the largest specialty label printing company serving the automotive, pharmaceutical, postal, medical, financial, retail distribution, warehousing, defense, transportation and shipping industries with sales of more than $700 million.
- Tested the reliability of existing printers, and conducted research and development for a new generation of printers.
- Zebra Technologies, Inc. purchased Atlantek, Inc. in 2004. While at Atlantek, developed new products for Eastman Kodak's Professional Photo Printer line with three basic models. The photo printers used an advanced digital-thermal dye sublimation technology that has become an industry standard.
- Worked on several patents that are jointly owned by the company and Eastman Kodak.
- Saved more than 20% in manufacturing costs on the first photo printer model.
- Worked on a plan for an additional 10% cost reduction for new photo printers.
- Collaborated with 20 vendors and suppliers to obtain the lowest cost, highest quality components and materials for the company's printer line.
- Trained engineers, designers and technicians on all aspects of the new printer line with emphasis on dye sublimation technology.
- Designed a new model that permitted printing four prints from one pass through the introduction of a cutting device within the printer. This new printer design yielded new prints every 3.5 seconds, which is the highest performance in the industry.
- Participated in presenting the new printer line at the Photo Marketing Association International trade show in 2003.
- Developed components manufactured using aluminum sand casting, which consolidated several parts and saved more than 12% in costs.
- Created component designs for injection molding, reducing manufacturing time and cost.
- Assisted the Manufacturing Department with production, materials, components, and design issues and compatibility.
BMCO Industries, Inc., Cranston, Rhode Island 1992-2000
Senior Designer (1993-2000)
Designed conveyors and specialized materials handling equipment for a manufacturer and installer of custom equipment for manufacturing companies.
A partial list of clients included the U.S. Post Office, Texas Instruments, the U.S. Army, Sylvania, Vivid Technologies, Norton Industries, Malden Mills, George C. Moore, Co., and the cities of Springfield, Massachusetts; Cranston, Rhode Island; and Warwick, Rhode Island. Managed entire projects from quotation and design to final installation.
- Supervised installations of conveyor systems and machinery, including product design.
- Reviewed customer documents and requirements prior to preparing quotations for each project.
- Interfaced with vendors, subcontractors and material suppliers. Specified design and materials for all parts and assemblies.
- Obtained an excellent knowledge of sheet metal and structural steel fabrication techniques as well as manufacturing equipment.
- Used laser measurement equipment for planning large installations.
- Managed production and installation teams of up to 20 technicians for projects throughout the United States.
New England Institute of Technology, Warwick, Rhode Island
Associate Degree, Architectural Drafting & CAD Design, Honors, 1992
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island
Courses in Mechanical Engineering, 1987-1989
Other courses: Certificates in AutoCAD Release 14, Basic Training in ProEngineer Software, Advance Surfacing Software and ProIntralink Software
Roitman & Sons, Inc. Award Banquet and Show, Providence, Rhode Island:
Gold Key Award, National Honor Program for Artistic Skills
Hallmark Award for Excellence in Art
South Kingston High School Honor Society