Insurance & Benefits Professional
A versatile insurance and benefits professional with 20 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in placing corporate-owned life insurance, split-dollar, survivorship and disability policies. Underwrote thousands of insurance contracts, maintaining customer relations, selecting and managing vendors, and overseeing compliance for a leading executive benefits consulting firm. Personally managed underwriting for several high-profile individuals and 120 Fortune 500 companies, representing billions of dollars in insurance contract coverage.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in underwriting, plan administration, recruitment and training of staff, contract negotiations, carrier relations, and compliance and regulatory management.
Mullin TBG, Los Angeles, California 1992-2006
Underwriting Manager, Mullin Consulting, Inc., (acquired in July 2006)
Placed 15,000 insurance policies with ten insurance carriers, representing significant commissions for the company. Managed, prioritized and directed underwriting projects.
- Negotiated underwriting concessions that saved clients up to $1 million (on just one policy!).
- Authored the company's first comprehensive Underwriting Department manual used by 30 insurance services staff.
- Wrote and presented Underwriting Continuing Education modules that enabled licensed associates to keep up continuing education credits from the California Department of Insurance.
- Took over leadership of the company's Underwriting Department after a merger with another company in Chicago. Led the unification of both departments into one cohesive operation, saving $64,000 annually.
- Led a Disability Carrier Task Force that compared a number of leading insurance carriers on administrative, technical, ease of use, customer service and follow-up. Was on the committee that selected two carriers that met the company's criteria for future collaboration.
- Co-hosted and presented on an Annuity Continuing Education Module to company insurance associates for education credit and accreditation.
- Participated as an annual control expert for the company's State Auditing Standards (SAS-70) accreditation process.
- Implemented and maintained a successful system that ensured compliance with SEC Rule 17a-3 with respect to client documentation. Produced broker/dealer related documents for compliance review.
- Served as an in-house advisor and project manager for thousands of underwriting projects.
- Provided underwriting expertise and guidance to management, account teams and the sales force.
- Acted as liaison between insurance carriers and in-house professionals.
- Hired, trained, developed and evaluated underwriting staff.
- Monitored the workflow and developed procedures that increased productivity.
- Successfully responded to a landslide of business requiring an unprecedented level of underwriting activity, resulting in company-wide bonuses.
- Developed and implemented "best practice" policies and procedures.
Carter Hawley Hale Stores, Inc., Los Angeles, California 1980-1992
Coordinator, Construction Accounts Payable (1990-1992)
Maintained the mainframe Project Tracking System and the Merchandise Accounts Payable System for all new store construction and renovations for a retail conglomerate with 11 divisions, 1,234 stores and revenues of $568 million.
- Managed the invoice approval process for construction contracts of up to $54 million.
- Interfaced with construction/store planning departments and resolved vendor issues.
- Developed a construction accounting database detailing pre-Chapter 11 debt of $106 million.
Senior Benefits Coordinator (1980-1990)
Administered 13 perquisite and benefit programs for 400 executives at corporate and division offices. Programs included:
- Benefits/perquisites for newly hired or promoted executives.
- Establishment and management of a new student loan program.
- Maintenance of a supplemental executive retirement plan.
- Conducted the annual Deferred Compensation Solicitation program.
- Published benefit surveys.
- Authored and implemented a new relocation policy for executives.
- Managed all temporary living arrangements for relocating executives, including expenses.
- Prepared and distributed stock option agreements and managed the stock option database.
- Determined exercisability of stock options including amounts, gains and withholding due.
- Prepared correspondence to the Corporate Secretary for issuance of stock certificates.
- Reconciled executive fleet expenses.
- Maintained department budgets of up to $1 million.
- Tracked healthcare costs for Carter Hawley Hale divisions.
- Oversaw the integrity of corporate-owned life insurance databases.
Provided administrative support services in the accounting department of a commercial refrigeration company and a leading bank.
Mt. San Antonio College, Walnut, California
Courses in Psychology and English
Other courses: Notary, Life Insurance, Supervision, Discrimination, Work Place Harassment and Conflict Resolution
California Life, Health and Disability Insurance License #0C29086
Notary Public, License #1413301
National Notary Association