Director of Information Technology
A versatile IT professional with more than 20 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in designing, sourcing, staffing, training and operating information technology departments for consumer electronics, food processing, entertainment, real estate, energy, and healthcare companies.
Expertise includes outstanding program development, systems design, integration, implementation, networking, communications, strategic planning, budgeting, project management and third party relationship skills.
Ready Pac Foods, Inc., Irwindale, California 1993-2006
Director of Information Technology
Created, implemented and managed the Information Technology Department for a $750 million privately held nationwide fresh-cut produce manufacturer with 4,100 employees and eight plants located in six states and Canada. Managed a network of 700 workstations linked to the file servers in Irwindale.
- Prepared IT budgets, strategic plans, bonus programs and technology standards (software, hardware, communication systems, communication carriers and other third party providers).
- Wrote IT policies and procedures in compliance with generally accepted practices.
- Recruited and trained 22 IT professionals handling programming, operations, communications, networking and support.
- Successfully merged the IT functions and operations of five acquired processing plants located throughout the USA and Canada into the company's operations in less than 120 days, saving $9 million in shared service costs.
- Developed and led the technology plan for moving the corporate headquarters from Pasadena to Irwindale with 100% uptime for communications and only two hours computer downtime while the computer system was transferred to the new location.
- Led negotiations for the installation of long distance and 800 number services, reducing costs by 50% with annual savings of $100,000.
- Led the company's Y2K initiative covering computers, applications, data, voice and networks without any incident.
- Implemented IT systems ahead of schedule and under budget for two new processing plants in Chicago and New Jersey. Received the Associate of the Quarter award for this project.
- Developed and tested the IT Hot Site Disaster Recovery plan and negotiated contracts with IBM for equipment, services and testing.
- Selected and incorporated three AS400 computers for accounting, manufacturing and distribution in a high-availability configuration.
- Consolidated disparate databases, hardware platforms and service bureaus into a centralized IBM AS400 system using JD Edwards financial systems and Marcam Prism manufacturing and distribution software.
- Led the project to upgrade JD Edwards World financial systems to JD Edwards One World XE.
- Led the vendor selection process and implementation of the company's first Local Area Network (LAN) at each facility.
- Set up and implemented a Wide Area Network (WAN) for eight plants linked to each facility's LAN.
- Led the vendor selection process and implementation of the company's first corporate-wide video security system using web-based technology, enabling secure access to viewing all cameras on the network via the Internet.
- Introduced the corporation to Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) in conjunction with Wal-Mart requirements.
- Initiated and led the successful installation of a variety of electronic commerce tools for more than 100 customers and 500 locations including:
-Hand-held computers for drivers to deliver electronic invoices via DEX
-Direct invoicing of customers via NEX
-Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) for the purpose of receiving customer purchase orders as well as sending Advance Shipment Notices (ASN) and customer invoices.
- Led the vendor selection process and outsource contracting for the implementation of a web-based data collection and reporting system for Ready Pac retail store merchandisers. The system was also used to collect merchandising data for non-competing customers, producing additional service revenue.
- Led the vendor selection process and outsource contracting for the implementation of an industry-first Internet site.
- Designed, programmed and maintained the company's first Intranet site. Subsequently, led an upgrade of the site to a Share Point system running within an AS400.
- Led the vendor selection process and implementation of the company's first e-mail system using Microsoft Mail and subsequent upgrades to MS Exchange.
- Led the vendor selection process and implementation of the company's first corporate-wide voicemail sharing system using a frame relay WAN as the transport.
Century 21, Inc., Long Beach, California 1992-1993
Realtor and Systems Development Associate
Acquired a California Association of Realtors agent license and performed systems work on the company's listing, sales and escrow management processes.
- Listed and sold three homes during one of the most difficult real estate periods in recent history.
- Developed a Windows-based PC system for planning and tracking listing, sales and escrow tasks using a combination of Microsoft Project, Word and Excel.
UniHealth, Inc., Burbank, California 1992-1993
Payroll Systems Implementer and Trainer
Implemented Kronos payroll timekeeping systems in four of the company's hospitals. Developed installation plans and timelines for hospitals that were converted to Kronos systems.
- Worked with Kronos in implementing communication data lines, hardware, time clocks and software to connect the hospital sites to a centralized data collection system in Northridge.
Pacific Theatres, Inc., Beverly Hills, California 1984-1992
Director of Information Systems
Managed the Information Technology Department for a privately held movie theater chain with 300 screens and revenues of $250 million.
- Led the initiative that outsourced the management of corporate real estate holdings and rent receipts nationwide.
- Developed and led a corporate-wide team that created an industry-first, national theatre data collection system for all screens, capturing attendance and snack bar revenue nightly.
- Led the vendor selection and implementation of the first home office LAN and modem data collection system in the corporation's Hawaiian theatre chain, reducing box office revenue reporting time from three days to overnight.
- Developed and led an accounting and IS team that created a film booking and revenue reporting system that interfaced with the accounts payable system. This saved 200 labor hours per week.
- Designed, developed and led a programming team for an industry-first, MAC-based theater advertising system that interfaced into the L.A. Times layout department. This system saved three days per week in meeting deadlines and saved the newspaper more than three roundtrips per week to pick up layouts. The L.A. Times made this system a standard requirement for all their theater advertisers.
- Led a corporate team through the development and implementation of an industry-first, bar-code technology "swap-meet" reservation and attendance system to convert unused, daytime, drive-in theater property into approximately $200,000 per month in additional revenue for the corporation.
- Led the technology team through the implementation of computer hardware and software systems for drive-in property converted into mini-storage facilities.
As Director of Data Processing, installed computer systems for two consumer electronics importers, distributors and national service organizations. Performed project management using an IBM 370 for a large international oil tool manufacturer.
United States Air Force, E5, Secret Clearance, Mississippi, Crete (Greece) and New Mexico. Honorable discharge.
University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Bachelor of Science, Mathematics and Economics
Control Data Institute, Long Beach, California
Associate of Science, Computer Science
California State University, Long Beach, Long Beach, California
Completed all core requirements towards a Master of Business Administration
Other courses: Ground radio electronic communications, electronic engineering, systems programming and databases (IBM), MRP (Apex) and Realtor License (Century 21)