Talented Technology Professional
A technology professional with 20 years of diversified experience in developing software and hardware solutions for business applications including e-commerce sites, rich media distribution, commerce call centers, laboratory diagnostic systems, and critical oil and gas refinery systems. Personally architected and designed e-commerce sites that have sold more than $1.2 billion in merchandise with combined visits of 2 trillion hits.
Expertise includes outstanding systems architecture, design, performance testing and development for large Internet sites. Employs IT tools that are worldwide in scope and features. A technical solutions executive who has mobilized and led highly productive teams of IT professionals for startup companies and Fortune 100 enterprises.
The Walt Disney Company, Disney Shopping, Inc., Glendale, California 2000-Present
Senior Systems Engineer/Systems Architect
Architected Disney's customer commerce sites and support systems, representing $170 million in annual sales. Reported to the Vice President of Global Retail.
- Introduced and developed Java coding standards and deployment techniques to ensure successful software releases. Worked extensively with development teams to review new systems architecture.
- Managed and coordinated activity with third party solution vendors. Evaluated new vendor technologies for emerging business requirements.
- Managed, designed and coordinated all performance testing to determine system capacity, reliability and availability, resulting in six consecutive successful holiday retail seasons.
- Performance tuned and tested the entire commerce technology stack, significantly improving site performance and enabling the business to process more than 22,000 orders per day with 500,000 unique visitors.
- Architected and designed a new $3 million commerce solution for Disney Global Retail, enabling the business to meet planned strategic initiatives and current tactical requirements.
- Performed analysis during a collapsing commerce market to determine the best product and company for the business. Worked closely with senior vendor architects to ensure a successful solution.
- Determined new platform transaction requirements and proposed vertical and horizontal scaling capabilities for future business growth while minimizing cost impact.
- Successfully introduced AMD chipsets running Linux within the Disney IT infrastructure, reducing operating costs by 40% and improving performance by 22%.
- Designed and developed a solution that verified shopping cart items with actual inventory levels from a mainframe system 2,000 miles away without any impact to the customer. This system eliminated over-sells and was expanded to retrieve the latest order status, reducing customer calls for order information. The combined savings from these two improvements was more than $5 million in lost orders and eliminated dissatisfied customers.
- Additional significant projects for DisneyShopping.com included:
- Recoding of 100,000 lines of Java code that significantly improved site reliability and maintainability.
- Implemented best practice methods for Java code library management and other Disney libraries.
- Architected and designed a 2.2 terabytes data warehouse solution for DisneyShopping.com.
- Represented Disney Shopping, Inc. at multiple Disney technology forums
Launch Media, Inc., Santa Monica, California 1999-2000
Director Engineer/Systems Architect
As the Director and Technical Architect for the Rich Media division of a successful Internet company, architected and designed key systems and solutions that delivered music and video assets for the company's Internet player. Reported to the Vice President of Technology.
- Architected and designed music and video assets for the company's web-streaming player, delivering 80,000 titles to its 1.5 million subscribers.
- Designed subsystems that saved and cached individual's playlists and user preferences for a large distributed network.
- Developed content systems that supported syndicated content from internal and external music editors.
- Managed a team of developers and database engineers maintaining the company's content management systems.
- Implemented a data warehouse collection system and third party tracking software for click stream revenue tracking.
- Worked with studio editors, developing new methods to distribute unique content for the website.
TTC Solutions, Inc., Los Angeles, California 1998
Director Engineer/ Systems Architect
Worked as a technology consultant for large and small businesses throughout the Los Angeles area. Maintained a large number of customer systems and designed new solutions for Fortune 100 corporations and emerging businesses.
- Served as Principal IT Engineer for a $20 million personal care retailer, COPA Distributors, Inc., developing needed support systems for senior management.
- Developed a customer care management systems (CSM) for internal call center representatives.
- Developed and certified credit card authorization and payment services for the CSM system.
- Worked closely with third party call centers to retrieve 1-800 orders for processing and fulfillment.
- As Principal Consultant, worked with Citibank's IT Project Managers, developing a company wide IT Department project status monitoring system. This project served as a portal for all company technology projects and post implementation reviews.
- Reviewed the initial client server requirements and proposed an alternate solution based on web tools that produced the same results with less development time and cost.
- Created a web application that accepted large volumes of project documents that complied with Citibank's extensive system security rules.
- Worked with Citibank's newly created internal company portal team to include this solution.
National Genetics Institute, Inc., Los Angeles, California 1994-1998
Director Engineer/Systems Architect
As the Primary Technology Officer of a rapidly growing, $100 million medical diagnostics company, developed and managed critical IT systems to support medical drug protocols for Fortune 100 pharmaceutical clients.
- Personally developed numerous company IT systems and trained computer professionals to support a 24/7 laboratory.
- Grew the IT Department to nine engineers and developed systems while mentoring 20 engineers.
- Created systems that interfaced with technical laboratory instruments.
- Created a highly secure Intranet used by doctors for research of critical care values and protocols.
- Developed software that processed and quantified values from scanned DNA amplification assays that subsequently became the basis of two software patients.
- Served as the Principal IT Staff responsible for all FDA and state inspections for computer systems.
ARCO, Inc., Los Angeles, California 1987-1994
Senior Programmer V
Hired as a consultant to develop and support the company's first personal computers system. Subsequently, became a full-time employee developing technical engineering applications used by field engineers running critical refinery systems for the second largest oil refinery company on the West Coast.
- Developed and supported more than 600 ARCO AM/PM franchise accounting systems for store owners throughout the Western United States.
- Developed new modules and reports for station owners to track sales and report gas inventories and sales to the corporate headquarters.
- Created installation packages and scripts for software upgrades and started an approval laboratory for new software applications prior to release.
- Managed and developed critical systems for monitoring safety and corrosion rates of major components within the company's two oil and gas refineries. This system saved the company millions of dollars annually and ensured proper safety and inspection procedures were followed.
- Administered 50 UNIX workstations networked over three states and was the Principal Programmer for the Inspection Corrosion system for five years.
Programmer for geophysical projects at Earth Technologies, Inc. and for photogrammetry projects at Airborne Systems, Inc.
University of Colorado, Boulder, Boulder, Colorado
Bachelor of Science, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, 1985
JavaOne University, San Francisco, California
|Java 2 Programming, 2001
||XML and Java Architecture, 2002
|Java Enterprise Architect, 2003
||Web Services Programming using Java, 2004
|Developing Application for J2EE Platform, 2005
BEA, San Jose, California
WebLogic Application Server, Application Development, 1999
J2EE & J2SE
Java Servlets & JSP
JavaServer Faces - JSF
SOA & AJAX Patterns
JSTL & Tag Libraries
Broker Services in Java
Web Applications (n-tier)
Enterprise JavaBeans - EJB 3,0 Specification
SUN Enterprise Blueprints
JNDI, RMI, JMS, JMS/MQ
Swing toolkit & AWT
JDBC, XML (SAX, DOM, JDOM)
UML (Rational & Visio)
HTML, XHTML, CSS
C, C++ Programming
MS Visual Basic
NET ADO Class Library
XML (DOM & SAX)
Oracle (SP & Java)
MS SQL Server
MS Analytics Server
Visual Source Safe
Apache Xerces, Xalan
MS Windows NT/2000/XP