Versatile Medical Services Professional
A versatile medical services professional with more than five years' experience in teaching at a vocational school and a community college. For 16 years, managed various departments of San Diego's largest healthcare system in a community hospital with up to 35,000 visits annually.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in medical office management, instructing large groups in medical administrative functions, designing and implementing productivity improvement programs, recruitment and training of administrative staff.
Methodist Hospital of Southern California, Arcadia, California 2003-2006
Managed 55 staff and admissions representatives for an acute-care, 400-bed community hospital with 2,000 employees. The hospital received 40,000 ER visits and 55,000 inpatient visits annually. Supervised the admissions function 24/7 including scheduling.
- Hired and trained more than 20 admitting staff including two supervisors. Arranged on-going training of all staff and conducted disciplinary action and annual evaluations.
- Implemented bed-side registration in the ER Department, complying with State and the Federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA).
- Participated in the upgrade of admissions procedures and incorporated automated processes for new technology and information systems.
- Eliminated NCR preprinted forms in favor of laser printed forms that saved more than $20,000 annually.
- Participated on interdepartmental committees and task forces to improve admitting procedures.
- Improved cash collections by more than $25, 000 per month.
- Processed patient, hospital staff and admitting staff complaints and problems concerning the Admitting to the hospital.
- Improved the Emergency Department registration work area, increasing efficiency and productivity.
Scripps Memorial Hospital - ScrippsHealth, Encinitas, California 1998-2003
Managed Admitting, PBX and Medical Records Departments for a 150-bed acute-care hospital which was part of the Scripps Health System consisting of five hospitals with a staff of 54.
- Centralized and automated out patient and surgical scheduling for the hospital. The new system became the model for four other hospitals in the system.
- Participated in the installation of a new core clinical software system that included the registration, finance, scheduling and emergency department modules.
- Participated in establishing a hospital-wide disaster plan.
- Set up a billing system for a neonatal intensive care unit joint venture with Children's Hospital of San Diego.
- Worked closely with patient financial services in cleaning up accounts receivables. Recovered more than $750,000.
- Centralized and redesigned the patient pre-operative administrative and testing procedures.
- Redesigned and refurbished the registration area for the Emergency Department that improved patient flow and productivity.
- Arranged the subcontracting of transcription services to an outside agency.
Maric College of Medical Careers, San Marcos Campus, San Marcos, California 1990-1997
Scheduled courses each month for a student body of 300. Counseled students for leaves of absences. Supervised an office staff of five. Prepared accreditation reports for state and federal audits.
Public Relations Coordinator (1994-1995)
Developed presentations and promoted the college for high school and community groups, trade shows and speaking engagements. Worked with the sales staff in creating recruitment programs.
Instructor, Medical Front Office (1990-1994)
Taught courses in medical transcription, keyboarding, insurance billing, medical terminology and other medical front office skills. Prepared the syllabus and wrote examinations for each class.
Palomar Community College, San Marcos, California 1992
Adjunct Faculty, (evening part-time position)
Taught medical terminology with basic physiology and anatomy as part of the college's program for nurses and allied medical professions. Prepared and administered examinations. Classes included up to 250 students.
North Coast Laboratory, Encinitas, California 1989
Sold diagnostic laboratory services for a physician-owned reference laboratory. The laboratory was sold in 1990.
Scripps Memorial Hospital, Encinitas, California 1978-1988
Customer Service Representative
Started in the Emergency Department as a Unit Secretary for eight years. Transferred to the Home Medical Equipment Division as a Customer Service Representative. Prepared data for Medicare billing and brought in more than $2 million in overdue Medicare reimbursement. Educated patients in the use of home medical equipment including glucometers and home safety equipment. Dispatched drivers for the medical equipment delivery. Scheduled home appointments for respiratory patients. Maintained medical equipment warehouse and inventory control.
National University, San Diego, California
Master of Business Administration
University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California
Bachelor of Science Degree, Biological Sciences
Other courses: Leadership, Joint Commission Accreditation Process Training, EMTALA, Medicare Billing Seminars, Consent Training Seminars, Diversity Training, Conflict Resolution and Employee Relations
California Association of Hospital Admitting Managers (CAHAM)