Innovative Human Resources Generalist
An innovative human resources generalist with 17 years of progressively increasing responsibilities for leading educational, retail, hospitality, non-profit and business services organizations. Expertise includes outstanding skills in resolving employee relations issues, compensation and benefits, staffing, union avoidance, policies and procedures, training, organizational development and strategic planning.
A personable human resources leader who leads by example for the benefit of the company, its employees and its customers.
Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, California 2003-2005
Internal Human Resources Consultant & Manager of Employment
Reorganized and improved the hiring functions at a private, accredited university with 1,500 faculty and staff, and 8,000 students. As an Internal Human Resources Consultant to the Academic Affairs Division, handled a wide variety of human relations issues for all levels of staff.
- Revamped the entire hiring process, reducing the hiring times by 51% and the budget by 33% with a significant rise in client satisfaction.
- Resolved 120 human resources and employee relations issues per month dealing with compensation, harassment, benefits, training, development, succession planning, restructuring, layoffs, manpower planning, performance management and termination issues.
- Oversaw five recruiters hiring 750 staff per year and personally recruited more than 25 exempt and non-exempt staff per month.
- Led the applicant tracking software installation implementation team that automated several manual processes while providing a 48% compounding return on investment by the second year.
- Participated in the rollout of a new compensation plan for the Academic Affairs Division with 250 professional staff. This included selling the plan and overcoming resistance to change.
The Home Depot, Glendale, California 2001-2003
Human Resources Manager/Change Agent
Provided human resources generalist services for a 275-employee business unit of a Fortune 20 company. Led the implementation of a company-wide change effort that included driving 200 initiatives. Programs included a new compensation plan, improved benefits and bonus plans, new performance management and improvement systems, and 150 corporate training programs.
- Created and implemented three incentive programs that increased sales and lowered costs by $1 million.
- Created five employee relations initiatives resulting in the store ranking highest in the Western Division in the company-wide Employer of Choice Survey.
- Created an incentive program that resulted in a 100% increase in customer service ratings.
- Designed and facilitated five leadership effectiveness training modules for managers.
- Launched three initiatives that focused employees on increasing sales, improving customer service and containing costs.
The Wilshire Grand Hotel & Centre, Los Angeles, California 2000-2001
Human Resources Manager, Employment
Provided staffing leadership and strategic direction supporting a 900-room luxury hotel operating under six collective bargaining agreements covering 700 employees.
- Developed a staffing plan that reduced exempt and non-exempt hiring time frames by 75% during a 40-year low national unemployment rate of 4%.
- Saved more than $100,000 by eliminating unnecessary costs in the employment budget.
- Hired 500 employees in six weeks for two simultaneous quick staff-up projects both completed two weeks ahead of schedule and under budget.
- Designed and led customer service, team building and communications skills training for 251 managerial and line employees.
- Developed a new staffing model that included Internet and technology-based recruiting. Established partnerships with 200 local, state and national hiring agencies.
- Participated in collective bargaining with Local 986.
The Center, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 1997-2000
Human Resources Generalist
Provided human resources generalist services for 300 staff of a $30 million social services agency operating in five locations under Local 399 Union collective bargaining agreement.
- Streamlined administrative process for benefits, recruitment, hiring, training and orientation.
- Launched and managed an open enrollment campaign, reducing processing times by 75%.
- Conducted a compensation review for 300 positions to ensure proper position benchmarking. Established, evaluated and monitored wage standards based upon market analysis and industry norms.
- Led several diversity initiatives that increased morale in the Operations, Finance and Development Departments.
- Participated in the implementation of the ADP HRIS that included a complete payroll interface.
Professional Decal Installation, Inc., Fremont, California 1988-1997
Director of Human Resources
Established a Human Resources Department for a business services company with 118 employees located in California, Colorado, Illinois and France.
- Resolved long-standing employee relations and termination issues that resulted in no company liability, discrimination or legal challenges.
- Renegotiated the company's benefits program resulting in a savings of 9%.
- Installed the company's first compensation structure that aligned pay systems with future plans for growth.
- Partnered with management in the creation and implementation of a performance management system linked to the organization's succession plan.
- Redesigned and authored the employee handbook.
- Strengthened IRCA, ADA and FMLA tracking procedures.
Paralegal case administrator for several national law firms. Supervised 12 direct reports during all facets of employment and labor litigation.
University of Redlands, Redlands, California
Master of Arts, Management, Organizational Development (GPA 3.96)
University of San Francisco, San Francisco, California
Bachelor of Arts, Communications & Mass Media
University of Phoenix, Pasadena, California
Human Resources Management Certification
Highly proficient with computers and software including MS Office, Resumix and Human Resources Information Systems including Oracle, ADP, Ceridian, ABRA and HR2000
Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM)
American Management Association (AMA)
Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA)
American Society of Training & Development (ASTD)