Versatile Human Resources Generalist
A versatile human resources generalist who has held increasing responsibilities for Fortune 100 companies in the entertainment, broadcasting, consumer products, computer and food industries. Worked with employee-based divisions of up to 10,000 providing best-in-class succession planning, recruitment, retention, organizational development, employee relations, compensation, benefit administration, training and labor programs.
Expertise includes outstanding people skills coupled with strong labor relations and union avoidance, problem solving, program creation and leadership skills.
Mattel Corporation, El Segundo, California 2004-2005
Director, Corporate Human Resources
Provided human resources support for the Finance, IT, Legal and Human Resources Departments (2,000 employees) of a multi-national consumer products company with $5 billion in sales.
- Prepared a succession plan covering 50 key corporate executive positions that was approved by the Chairman. Created development strategies that complimented the plan's objectives.
- Restructured the global IT Department from seven groups to six, resulting in a clearer definition of functions, improved service and a $5 million annual cost savings.
- Restructured the Consumer Affairs Department with 80 professionals, increasing productivity and customer focus. The group processes more than 2,500 customer inquiries per day.
The Walt Disney Company, Buena Vista Games, Glendale, California 2001-2004
Director, Global Human Resources
Held global human resources responsibilities for employees based in North America, South America, Europe and Asia for Disney's interactive game business unit with revenues of $500 million. Reported to the President of the division and provided HR support for 500 employees.
- In a challenging business year, 2002, downsized the organization by 40% globally to maintain alignment with business trends and reduce fixed cost.
- Redesigned the European organization and saved 40% in labor costs with no sacrifice in productivity.
- Planned and facilitated a global manager's strategy meeting, resulting in the development of two new products that provided $2 million of incremental after tax profit. Oversaw the development and launch of each product.
- Provided strategic leadership and co-authored the design template for Disney Consumer Products Division (4,500 employees) Human Resources Department's implementation of a C-Player strategy. The result was a significant upgrade of talent across all departments.
- Created and implemented an individual development plan for the executive team using executive coaches, 360-surveys and internal mentoring.
- Recruited key management and executive-level talent.
Executive Focus, Inc., Austin, Texas and Long Beach, California 1999-2001
Co-founded and led a consulting firm specializing in organizational development and executive coaching. Clients included executives from large corporations, large and small non-profits, as well as executives and senior teams from large public agencies. Corporate clients included Texas Utilities, Motorola, Dell, Metropolitan Transit Authority, American Red Cross, Greater Austin Chamber and the Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Dell Computer Corporation, Round Rock, Texas 1997-1999
Director, Global Management Education (1999)
Oversaw company-wide educational and training programs dealing with assimilation of newly hired and newly promoted managers, legal issues and online educational programs for 15,000 employees.
- Built a strategic plan and authored the company's Worldwide New Manager Education Program, which included development of curriculum and web-based tools, as well as classroom solutions.
- Co-developed the Executive Assimilation Program used to assimilate executives more quickly into the organization in order to decrease executive turnover.
- Built a strategic plan and drove the coaching model on a global basis that was used by eight Human Resources teams to provide leadership programs for middle managers.
Director, Human Resources - Preferred Accounts Division (1997-1998)
Led the human resources team and provided strategic human resources support for a division with $1.5 billion in revenues. In 1998, assumed additional human resources responsibilities for 2,500 in-house technical support employees and managed a human resources staff of 20.
- Developed and implemented a staffing plan for sales associates that was tied to the business plan so that the division was able to meet a 30% projected growth rate with adequately trained staff.
- Managed attrition down to below 6%, while the corporate average was at 14%.
- Developed a training strategy that focused on business needs and built a process that captured metrics to determine training effectiveness.
- Developed a Sales Internship program, which included seven college students with a desire to look at sales as a career. The group achieved an incremental $1.8 million in revenue over a ten-week period at a cost of approximately $60,000.
- Supported and co-developed corporate initiatives around Executive Orientation and Performance Management, both of which have been implemented globally.
- Reduced customer waiting time for technical support by 20% through innovative training programs.
National Broadcasting Company, Burbank, California 1994-1997
Director, Human Resources
Headed the human resources team responsible for providing generalist services to the Entertainment Division with 1,000 production and entertainment programming staff.
- Provided human resources services to the Presidents of NBC West Coast, NBC Entertainment, NBC Enterprises and their senior teams concerning all human resources functions.
- Played a strategic role in reorganizing NBC Productions when FCC laws changed permitting networks to own their own original programming.
- Executed the General Electric succession planning process that was focused on talent identification.
- Created and implemented programs that developed management leadership skills at middle and senior levels with more than 100 participants.
- Through a series of training initiatives, provided tools that resulted in a 30% decrease in turnover, a 70% reduction in contested terminations and no harassment or discrimination claims filed.
- Managed the Diversity Awareness Program, training every employee on the NBC West Coast lot including KNBC with 100% participation.
Pepsi Cola Company, Somers, New York; Los Angeles, California and Dallas, Texas 1989-1994
Manager, Human Resources
Managed the human resources function for multiple market units with a volume of more than 60 million cases of product and revenues in excess of $250 million with a combined employee base of 10,000.
- Co-managed the restructuring process for all divisions, placing the focus on customer service and those employees closest to the customer. The initiative exceeded the planned revenue gain goal by more than 20%.
- Led a new employee selection process that included production employees, decreasing turnover by 25%.
- Led a corporate improvement process program, resulting in productivity increases in sales and operations while reducing cost by 20%.
- Reduced grievances by 50%, which resulted in a 15% gain in productivity.
- Recruited 100 middle- and senior-level managers annually and reduced the open positions timeline by 25%.
Zale Corporation, Dallas, Texas 1983-1988
Manager, Corporate Staffing
Recruited more than 200 store managers and administrative staff annually with a team of eight for a specialty jewelry retail chain with $1.1 billion in sales.
Secretaries of Houston, Inc., Houston, Texas 1982-1983
Recruited administrative support staff for 15 companies in the greater Houston area for a contingency recruiter.
Texas Southern University, Houston, Texas
Graduate coursework in Public Administration
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Vice President of Student Government
Graduate coursework towards a Master of Business Administration
Other Courses: Diversity, Leadership, Change Management, Legal Issues in Human Resources, Coaching, Mentoring, Presentation Skills, Organizational Development, Labor Relations and Compensation Training
Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM)
Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA)