Dedicated Human Resources Generalist
A creative and dedicated human resources generalist with extensive experience in managing compensation and benefits for a leading public utility company in search of her next human resources opportunity.
- Redesigned and implemented a new paper and electronic filing system for efficient retrieval of employee benefit records and forms.
- Synthesized and analyzed employee data for various human resources reports for senior management.
- Examined and maintained employee files to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.
Expertise includes excellent benefits and compensation, employee relations, policies and procedures, legal and government compliance, vendor relations, training, computer, and problem-solving skills.
Southwest Water Company, Los Angeles, California 2006-Present
Corporate Benefits Assistant
Respond to employee benefit concerns and issues for a $300 million water utility company with 1,400 employees and operations in California, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Colorado, Mississippi and New Mexico. Benefit programs include: medical, HCR/DCR plan, dental, life insurance, long- and short-term care, disability insurance, claims processing, and employee discounts.
- Prepare and process paperwork for new hires, eligible employees, terminations and status changes.
- Manage and maintain the employee benefits hotline and e-mail inquiries with more than 700 e-mails and 100 phone calls in volume each month.
- Prepared monthly workers' compensation accident and claims cost reports using ZURICH's claims management software, reporting to senior management.
- Performed district visits to maintain connections with employees and resolve any issues.
- Assisted in a company-wide open enrollment process.
- Prepare and issue COBRA letters as well as HIPPA certificates for terminated employees.
- Process confidential paperwork concerning employee questions and issues.
- Prepare monthly benefits operations reports for senior management.
- Create numerous Excel spreadsheets for open enrollment projects, census data, bills, headcount reports, and new hire and termination reports.
- Backup the Benefits Administrator and respond to issues in her absence.
- Create and maintain employee 401(k) files.
- Audit bills and invoices from vendors.
- Redesigned the employee benefit records internal filing system for easy and efficient retrieval.
- Prepare mass employee mailings to comply with various laws and mandates.
- Redesigned the new hire benefits packet for aesthetics and easy understanding of benefits.
- Created and implemented an electronic forms file for easy access.
- Resolve claims issues between employees and providers or insurance carriers.
- Assist the company's broker with missing data or paperwork.
- Relieve receptionist for lunch.
Nordstrom, Costa Mesa, California 2003-2006
Barista (part-time while completing degree)
Jump Start, Irvine, California 2003-2005
An outreach program that provides one-on-one mentorship to lower income and pre-school students
- Worked to build literacy, language, social and initiative skills.
- Stressed family involvement by serving as a bridge between teachers and students.
- Provided research to the organization's founder.
University of California, Irvine, Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, Irvine, California 2002-2003
Assisted the Human Resources Director in a variety of issues. Established a new filing system that reorganized personnel files. Assisted the Accounts Payable Department in reconciling bills and aiding in reimbursement.
University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology: Cognitive Science & Sociology, Dean's List, GPA 3.1, 2006
Other Courses: Cobra Seminar
Professionals in Human Resources Association
University of California, Alumni Association
Jump Start Alumni Network
Tutor and mentor at The Cambodian Family, Santa Ana, California
Mentor to K-12 students at the Santa Ana Homeless Shelter, Santa Ana, California
Sales Representative for the American Cancer Society, Discovery Shop, Newport Beach, California
Research Assistant for the South East Asian Archive, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California
Volunteer at the Santa Ana Convalescent Home, Santa Ana, California