Versatile Human Resources Generalist
A versatile human resources generalist with extensive experience in setting up and managing human resources departments for pharmaceutical, high-tech, consumer electronics and non-profit companies with up to 500 employees located in multi-national offices.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in employee relations, legal and government compliance, policies and procedures, staffing, compensation and benefits, union avoidance, organizational development, international, and mergers and acquisitions.
Child Care Resource Center, Van Nuys, California 2005-2007
Director of Human Resources
Provided generalist human resources services for a non-profit agency that offers child care support and services, including resources and referrals to providers and parents, administration of subsidies for federal and state programs, management of 19 Head Start sites, management of a child development center, and training workshops for parents and providers.
- Conducted market surveys and adjusted salaries, resulting in internal parity and external equity.
- Recruited and hired 110 teachers and support staff for 15 Head Start sites in one month.
- Wrote the agency's employee handbook.
- Enhanced benefits, including the implementation of a 403(b) matching contribution plan, the introduction of a vision care plan, and the reduction of the cost of life and disability insurance.
- Reorganized the Human Resources Department, including hiring and training of HR staff for compensation, benefits, recruitment, employee relations, training and development, and database management.
- Upgraded and expanded the company's human resources management system (Abra).
- Successfully defended inherited EEO complaints.
- Developed a job description format that reflected the agency's core competencies to align its mission with each person's work.
HR on Demand, Simi Valley, California 1994-1998, 2004-2005
Principal, Human Resources Consulting
Clients: SuperCuts, Schlumberger, Bacardi, Sanwa Bank, Transtream and a major entertainment studio.
- Identified, developed and delivered selected training programs, including sexual harassment training in compliance with California law.
- Counseled management in crisis situations.
- Conducted employee relations investigations.
- Facilitated the dismissal of EEOC claims and summary judgments in lawsuits.
- Conducted human resources audits leading to operational changes for legal compliance.
- Improved employee morale in consonance with corporate culture by developing policies, procedures and employee manuals.
- Created compensation programs and designed and negotiated benefit packages.
- Established virtual human resources departments for small companies, providing human resources support on an as-needed basis.
Designworks/USA, Inc. (a BMW Group Company), Newbury Park, California 2000-2004
Director of Human Resources
Managed human resources, health and safety, and security for a wholly-owned BMW AG subsidiary. Designworks/USA is an international design consultancy, providing automotive and motorcycle designs for BMW and other product design services to companies globally.
- Integrated BMW Group policies, procedures and services into the company, resulting in a 30% saving in the IT and Accounting Departments.
- Developed a balanced score card management system and integrated the performance appraisal process, aligning BMW AG strategic goals with the company.
- Developed a Sustainability Management System (SMS), leading to ISO 14001 certification.
- Conducted an associate survey that resulted in new programs, promoting a positive culture and improving management performance.
- Identified a 30% annual saving in medical benefits using a new provider with alternative benefit financing.
- Developed and administered expatriate contracts and resolved visa issues.
- Provided human resources support to the company's studio in Munich, Germany.
Kendle International, Inc., Thousand Oaks, California 1998-2000
Western Regional Human Resources Manager
Provided human resources services covering 15 Western states for a global contract clinical research organization with revenues of $75 million.
- Advised corporate headquarters in Cincinnati on regional legal and personnel issues.
- Reduced contingent staffing costs by 23%.
- Developed a comprehensive recruitment strategy for just-in-time hiring.
- Member of the People Soft HRMS implementation team.
- Coordinated the consolidation of the San Diego and Thousand Oaks offices, providing successful outplacement for all displaced employees.
- Resolved contract issues with clients, providing continuity in customer service in the absence of the Managing Director.
Vestar, Inc., San Dimas, California 1987-1995
Vice President, Human Resources (1992-1995)
Sr. Director, Human Resources (1991-1992)
Director, Human Resources (1988-1991)
Manager, Human Resources (1987)
Established and directed human resources functions for a multi-million dollar startup pharmaceutical company with more than 300 employees worldwide. Member of the Senior Management Team.
- Created a Human Resources Department focused on present and future organizational capabilities and continuous improvement in support of business strategies.
- Qualified and negotiated fee arrangements with search firms as well as temporary help agencies and utilized direct sourcing, resulting in combined annual savings of $200,000.
- Improved the employee benefit package while reducing costs by $750,000 over three years.
- Strengthened the budgetary controls, assured consistent and equitable treatment of associates, and avoided litigation by developing and implementing comprehensive procedures for all human resources and administrative functions.
- Directed an in-house security investigation that uncovered and eliminated more than $50,000 annually in illegal vendor practices.
- Developed a comprehensive skills training program that was tied to business strategy. Obtained $80,000 in funding from the state's Employment Training Panel.
- Created total remuneration packages for local nationals in several European countries, which resulted in competitive compensation and improved retention of critically needed staff.
- Established a computerized Human Resources Information System (HRIS) that improved the use of staff and productivity.
- Conducted due diligence in the NeXagen merger, including the evaluation of policies and programs for integration.
Served as Personnel Manager at Data Products, Inc., a computer printer manufacturer, and JBL Inc., a Harman International Industries company. Worked as Industrial Relations Representative for Autologic, Inc., a manufacturer of printing equipment.
California State University, Northridge, Northridge, California 1997-Present
Adjunct Faculty, Evening Instructor. Instruct Management, Business Law and Human Resources classes. Develop lesson plans and integrated classroom exercises.
University of La Verne, La Verne, California
Master of Business Administration, Personnel Management Emphasis
Immaculate Heart College, Los Angeles, California
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology
University of California, Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management, Los Angeles, California
Advanced Program in Human Resources Management
American Management Association, Monterey, California
Other Courses: human resources, management, organizational development, executive leadership, legal updates, and compensation and recruitment
Brown-Walker, Sheila and Burke, Debra, Legal Liabilities at Bayshore Science, Published by Prentice-Hall in 2001 as a Business Law textbook.
Numerous case studies have been accepted for publication in business law journals, many winning distinguished writing awards.
Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM)
Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA), Legislative Affairs District 9 Chair