Experienced Human Resources Generalist
A successful human resources generalist with 13 years of increasing responsibilities for a leading university and manufacturing and financial services organizations.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in employee relations, retention, recruitment, organizational development, compensation, benefits, EEO compliance, training, restructuring and facilities management.
Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, California 2002-2005
Senior Human Resources Specialist
Managed human resources for the Administration and the Business Finance Divisions of a private university with 6,000 student, 350 full-time faculty and 1,500 staff.
- Resolved a serious staff retention problem in the University's Children's Center providing complete daycare for 80 children (6 weeks to 4.5 years old). Conducted a 360-Survey and implemented a complete overhaul of the Center and its policies. Within three months, retention improved by 34%. Subsequently, appointed to the board of directors of the Center.
- Restructured the Controller's Department by redefining jobs and evaluating staff, resulting in a more coherent and effective team.
- Participated on a team that evaluated 800 job descriptions. Re-evaluated each job and arranged classes of work with grades and salaries. Implemented the new structure across the campus without incident.
- Resolved more than 100 employee relations issues covering a variety of professional and personal issues.
- Recruited more than 200 staff from non-exempt to director level.
- Initiated, planned and implemented an annual dinner in honor of "20 plus years" employees that has become a tradition with the university. Participation has been in excess of 400 for the luncheon and 80 people for two dinners with the president.
Communications Manufacturing Company (CMC), Los Angeles, California 1996-2001
Human Resources Manager
Created the company's first human resources function for a manufacturer of telephone line equipment with 150 employees in four states and sales of $19 million.
- Wrote a policies and procedures manual, work instructions and job descriptions for all levels, which contributed to the company qualifying for ISO 9000 status.
- Formed a Safety Committee and conducted safety training workshops. Reduced work related accidents by 25%, which lowered the company's workers' compensation insurance rate.
- Conducted numerous training programs including sexual harassment, productivity, quality control, supervision, management and cost control. Arranged for outside English as a Second Language programs.
- Established proficiency training for all workers, maintaining the company's ISO 9000 status.
- Successfully defended the company's position for employees discharge for cause.
- Processed employee relations issues and recruiting including interviewing, background checks and orientation. Conducted employee reviews and prepared executive bonuses.
- Worked with a variety of healthcare organizations in providing healthcare benefits for employees.
International Lease Finance Corporation, Century City, California 1989-1995
Director of Administration (1993-1995)
Managed human resources and all administrative functions for an aircraft leasing company with $8.75 billion in leases and 125 employees.
- Participated in the relocation of the company's headquarters from Beverly Hills to Century City.
- Arranged for utilities, telephone, furniture, office equipment, decoration and display art.
- Expanded the company's facility to accommodate growth.
- Hired and trained all administrative personnel.
- Standardized software and installed a local area network throughout the company.
Personal Assistant to the President/CEO (1992-1993)
Worked closely with the President/CEO in purchasing and leasing of commercial aircrafts. Purchased and leased more than 50 aircrafts. Arranged for legal, property, financial and other professional services.
- Set up and negotiated corporate accounts with hotels, restaurants and limousine companies. Notarized all leases and other transactions. Coordinated travel on the company's executive jet.
Financial Executive (1989-1992)
Prepared 10Ks, 10Qs and prospectuses for clients and shareholders. Assisted with the human resources function. Reconciled checking accounts.
- Interfaced by phone and fax with all airlines regarding usage and flight information about each leased plane.
- Worked with a cash disbursement agent on payroll, stock plans and medical reimbursement.
Office Manager for a plumbing contractor and a realty and property management company.
University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Certificate, Professional Designation in Human Resources Management
California State University, Northridge, Northridge, California
Bachelor of Science, Business Administrator/Accounting
West Los Angeles College, Culver City, California
Associate Degree, Accounting
Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM)
Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA)
California Chamber of Commerce