Dynamic Finance & Business Development Leader
A dynamic finance and business development leader with 14 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in business expansion and financial analysis for media, entertainment and technology companies. Initiated six new retail and services businesses that are forecasted to generate $300 million in revenues the first year.
Expertise includes outstanding business planning and development, forecasting, financial modeling, industry analysis, pricing strategy, margin planning and analysis skills.
The Walt Disney Company, Disney Direct Marketing, Glendale, California 2002-2005
Senior Manager, Finance, Business Planning (2003-2005)
Manager, Finance, Business Planning (2002-2003)
Provided business planning and analysis, strategic planning and business development for a $200 million catalog and online direct retail business.
- Developed the strategic plan for the Disney Home line of furniture and décor resulting in a $70 million first year potential to grow to $200 million in five years. The new line will be launched January 2006.
- Created the liquidation strategy for $8 million in retail products, annually from Disney Online direct marketing operations.
- Directed the operational closure of seven outlet stores located in six states without any capital loss and the successful sale of $2.5 million in products.
- Developed margin management reporting that provided visibility to key margin indicators. This permitted placing emphasis on the company's most profitable categories and aligning sales goals.
- Improved inventory controls by reviewing and modifying open-to-buy assumptions, reserve calculations and inventory flow models. Improved cash flow by $10 million.
- Created a process that evaluated product profitability by including all allocated and real company costs. This process was used for all new and existing products for assortment planning and elimination of losing items. More than 6,000 SKUs were evaluated using these criteria.
- Created a market share study reviewing industry statistics vs. company performance by product line. Two significant improvements evolved from this study, resulting in an incremental sales increase of $15 million annually.
- Conducted a study using competitive catalog information, online traffic statistics and actual orders to determine the optimal number of SKUs to show per page. Online assortments increased by 10%.
- Conducted a strategic pricing review including price endings, psychological price points and elasticity analysis to determine optimal catalog prices. Following the implementation of the results of the review, profitability increased by $7 million over prior year.
- Developed guidelines for paid search advertising using key words with Google and Yahoo! that maximized return on advertising costs.
- Conducted a study in jewelry online sales with recommendations for entering the market.
National Mobile Television, Inc., Torrance, California 2000-2002
Vice President, Business Development
Identified and modeled business growth opportunities as well as improvements for existing business for a $150 million provider of mobile television facilities used by more than 100 clients including Fox Sports, ESPN, Madison Square Garden, European Tour Golf, ABC Sports, CART Auto Racing, CBS Masters Golf and E! Entertainment.
- Assisted in structuring a joint venture with Anschutz Entertainment Group for attracting, relocating and operating the Fox Sports West nightly regional sports report live from the Staples Center.
- Led deal support for a non-cash acquisition for $20 million of broadcast assets.
- Completed an evaluation of the company using a discounted cash flow model to prepare the business for a potential sale.
- Created an allocated cost model that evaluated the profitability of every job. This resulted in the creation of a new pricing strategy and model with higher gross margins.
- Led the research effort of the portable score board industry and the digital record storage market as possible new businesses with recommendations for market-entry strategies for highest returns.
- Optimized asset utilization for the 2003 college football season, reducing subcontracting costs.
Merisel, Inc., El Segundo, California 1999-2000
Director of Pricing Strategy & Analysis (1999-2000)
Manager of Pricing Strategy & Analysis (1999)
Set pricing strategy and margin planning for a distributor of computer hardware and software with $4 billion in sales.
- Introduced pricing for low price-point items, generating $1 million in incremental operating income.
- Implemented process improvements and reporting automation that reduced labor costs by 68%.
- Introduced an enterprise wide pricing tool that maximized promotional opportunities and a competitive intelligence program that gave the company visibility to industry-wide inventory levels.
Ingram Micro, Inc., Santa Ana, California 1996-1999
Supervisor, Pricing, Reporting & Analysis (1998-1999)
Senior Analyst, Pricing, Reporting & Analysis (1997-1998)
Pricing Analyst (1997)
Manager of Financial Services Sales (1996-1997)
Started in the Treasury Department selling asset-based lending that facilitated greater purchases of more than 100,000 SKUs for a $25 billion multi-national technology distributor. Moved into the Pricing Analysis Department and established criteria, reporting and continuous analysis in support of 1,300 telesales and field sales personnel.
- Streamlined reporting and modeling processes that increased the productivity of the department with higher output. Received the Employee of the Year award in 1998.
Amplicon Financial, Inc., Santa Ana, California 1995-1996
Account Executive, Corporate Leases
Sold third party leasing for technology purchases of up to $4 million for a $600 million leasing company.
Account Executive/Stock Broker for two leading financial institutions.
The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, 1992
Other Courses: Statistics, Diversity, Executive Presentation, Business Writing and Management Leadership
Series 7 and Series 3, 1994; Canadian Future Trading License, 1992; and Canadian Securities License, 1991