A versatile financial professional with progressively increasing experience and responsibilities in setting up and managing accounting and financial operations for hospitals and medical institutions.
Expertise includes outstanding analytical, financial, modeling, banking, cost reduction, purchasing, auditing, staffing, systems, FASB and GAAP skills. A natural leader who enjoys participating on his own financial teams.
John Muir Health, Walnut Creek, California 2006-2008
Oversaw the Accounting, Transaction Processing and Government Reimbursement Departments for a 650-bed, non-profit medical center with two acute-care hospitals, one psychiatric hospital, a physician network and several outpatient centers. Managed a total staff of 45. Gross revenues exceeded $1 billion.
- Successfully managed two external financial audits without mention.
- Developed a quarterly operating metric schedule for each hospital and the physician network, which provided key operating and financial performance measurements for senior management.
- Developed a monthly revenue analysis report for each hospital, which pinpointed volume and rate variances by payor group.
- Generated monthly and year-to-date financial reports for all entities by the 11th business day of the month. Produced quarterly financial reports showing performance.
- Filed all federal and state regulatory documents for Medicare, Medi-Cal and OSHPD.
- Analyzed and implemented FIN 47, FIN 48, SFAS 157, SFAS 158, SFAS 159 and SEC Topic 5M as required by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).
- Assisted the Chief Financial Officer with two public debt offerings, totaling $444 million.
- Held monthly teleconferencing calls with senior management to review monthly financial results prior to release.
- Set up and implemented teleconferences with senior management and their subordinates to further review monthly results and key operating issues.
- Presented the monthly financial results to the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee.
- Prepared financial statements for the Health System’s Physician Medical Group with more than 100 primary care physicians and presented these results to the Group’s board.
Independent Contractor, Livermore, California 2004-2006
- Acted as Interim Director of Accounting for Washington Hospital in Fremont, California.
- Designed and implemented a new provisioning and accounts receivable system for a high transaction broadband supplier.
- As Interim Controller for UbiSoft, a French electronic video game designer and manufacturer, worked on licensing and royalty agreements as well as their impact on revenue recognition.
- Verified the capital assets inventory from an external audit for all Redback locations, a network hardware manufacturer. Assisted the Controller in the company’s external audit.
Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System, San Jose, California 2003-2004
Oversaw the Accounting and Accounts Payable Departments for the largest public, acute-care hospital with 524 beds, owned and operated by the County of Santa Clara.
- Directly managed a staff of five professionals and a total of 45 indirect professional and clerical staff in providing financial reports for the Health and Hospital System, which included Valley Medical Center, the Department of Alcohol and Drug Services, and the Mental and Public Health Departments.
- Employed GAAP and GASB standards to all accounting operations.
- Improved the efficiency of the Grant Unit, ensuring faster turnaround of received grant funding.
- Coordinated and executed the external financial statement audit.
- Implemented the Lawson Software System.
MegaPath Networks, Inc., Pleasanton, California 2001-2003
Director of Finance/Corporate Controller
Produced financial reports and statements for a privately held telecommunications startup company, which supplied broadband, virtual private networks (VPN) and web services over a national footprint.
- Developed and implemented a methodology and software for the proper modeling, which provided accurate accounting for revenue recognition.
- Installed and implemented Great Plains Dynamics Financial Accounting as well as FRx Reporting systems.
- Created an integrated accounting reporting system that increased the accuracy and eliminated up to a week out of the monthly financial reporting cycle for the Board of Directors.
- Designed and implemented a process for the identification and management of telecommunications regulatory fees and taxes as well as the management of sales tax registration and compliance in all states where the company had a presence.
Silicon Bandwidth, Inc., Fremont, California 2000-2001
Vice President, Finance
Set up the Accounting, Human Resources, IT and Administration Departments for a startup manufacturer of high-speed, high-performance, low-cost interconnect platforms for OEM electronics and communications customers. Set up purchasing procedures, designed forms, forecasting tools, financial modeling and scheduling, and produced monthly financial statements.
Symmetry Corporation, Milpitas, California 1996-2000
Established an Accounting Department for an international multi-level marketing company. Researched and implemented a new accounting software package. Designed accounting consolidation models for international subsidiaries. Oversaw staffing, training and the foreign exchange. Prepared tax filings.
Washington Hospital Healthcare System, Fremont, California 1990-1996
Director of Accounting Services (1994-1996)
Produced financial statements for a non-profit, acute-care district hospital with 359 beds. The Healthcare System included three clinics, an outpatient surgical center, a woman’s health center and an outpatient catheterization center.
- Managed the resolution of financial obligations of the Healthcare System through payroll and accounts payable.
- Analyzed the Healthcare System’s investment portfolio and managed overnight investment decisions for short-term cash surpluses, ensuring a maximum return on investment.
- Coordinated and executed the financial statement audit with external auditors.
Financial Analyst (1990-1994)
Using analytics, supported senior management in product line profitability, costing methodologies and payor contract review for maximizing revenue and minimizing costs.
- Formulated and implemented accurate budget forecasts and business plans for all the group’s offsite concerns, including established enterprises and startup ventures.
- Worked closely with the Chief Financial Officer and attending physicians in developing comprehensive physician practice business plans.
Arthur Andersen & Co., Oakland, California 1987-1990
Senior, Audit Division
Participated and managed financial audits for public and private hospitals, HMOs and manufacturing enterprises.
- Consulted on revenue enhancement projects, including identification and implementation of $8 million in annual benefits for a large teaching hospital.
- Evaluated payment compliance for HMO/PPO contracts, recommending improved payment procedures.
California State University, Hayward, Hayward, California
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Accounting
Certified Public Accountant, California, License #698579
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA)