Accomplished Financial Professional
An accomplished financial professional with domestic and international experience in financial reporting, fraud review, system conversion and auditing for publicly held companies. Demonstrated a comprehensive knowledge of financial statements and hands-on accounting management. Thorough understanding of SAP, Oracle, SQL and Great Plains financial systems.
Expertise includes outstanding technical, managerial, consulting and bilingual communication skills with special strengths in analyzing processes and building effective accounting/financial departments.
Southwest Water Corporation (formerly Eco Resources Corporation), Austin, Texas 2007-2008
Director of Accounting Operations
Managed the Accounting Department with 12 professionals providing accounting/financial services for 88 water district/corporations in Texas for a division of a public water utility management company with operations situated in California, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia with $270 million in sales and 1,700 employees.
- Acted as the Investment Officer for 52 utilities, generating 4-6% annual return from secured investments. Provided full financial analysis in determining best investment strategies.
- Generated required financial reports to proper regulatory authorities for publicly traded and politically created entities, including city and utility districts.
- Over the past 12 months, generated financial packets for 14 bond issuances totaling $145 million. Furnished monthly closing reports for 88 entities.
- Managed 50 annual municipality audits as required by GASB 34 and responded to any audit or management questions.
- Identified nine different external fraud attempts to clients. Four were successfully prosecuted and none had loss of client funds.
- Led a project team that located a purchaser for the Client Accounting Division and set up the parameters for its successful sale with a potential $10 million capital gain.
- Participated in the company’s transition from ActPac accounting software to the Oracle Financial Module.
- Restructured the Accounting Department, including the addition of three accounting professionals.
Accenture, Austin, Texas 2006-2007
Manager of General Accounting
Managed, developed and executed the structure, pricing and general ledger for the State of Texas Health and Human Services Commission’s (Texas HHSC) Healthcare Program as part of the largest financial consulting group in the world.
- Created and maintained the general ledger for Accenture in SAP, downloaded information into Great Plains and generated a monthly financial reporting package for Texas HHSC.
- Developed standardized operational models across all business functions, which captured financial impacts to business and measured results of change orders on business processes. Generated monthly cost accounting reports for the Texas HHSC.
- Managed the financial close process between the State of Texas and Accenture.
- Reviewed and approved the balance sheet and income statement that were presented to Accenture and the Texas HHSC.
Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA), Austin, Texas 2002-2006
Designed and documented controls of a water and wastewater utility in one of the fastest growing areas in the United States. Managed billing, customer development, meter reading and compliance.
- Worked with audit and operations to develop and document the revenue collection processes with quality and internal controls as required for Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404.
- Created controls and review processes that recognized inaccurate billing to retail customers, which led to an 180% increase in commercial wastewater revenue, using Oracle Financials software.
CHR Solutions, Austin, Texas 1998-2002
Director – Controls and Revenue Assurance
Managed the consulting practice for a telecommunications construction company. Established interconnection agreements and revenue recognition protocols for companies interconnecting with the public switch network.
- Developed and designed forensic accounting reports for ferreting out information on slammers and toll violators using various SQL tools.
- Created controls and reviewed processes that recognized inaccurate billing by Verizon and SBC, thus reducing clients’ bills by 15%, through writing Oracle reports against the SBC's billing system, using TOAD Software.
American Electric and Power (ChoiceCom), Austin, Texas 1996-1998
Managed financial operations of a startup local phone company. Recruited and managed a staff of 19 people with responsibility over finance, payroll, general ledger, accounting, project tracking and purchasing.
- Managed financial and accounting operations. Created and documented capital budgeting, capital tracking and purchasing processes. Created management tools that facilitated ChoiceCom’s obtaining $50 million in funding.
- Implemented an Oracle financial forecasting and billing system as well as an Intranet-based purchase requisition system, which allowed for a two-day close and more accurate forecasting.
Applied Materials, Austin, Texas 1994-1996
Manager – Finance, Planning and Controls
Developed budgets, forecasts and polices for $2 billion in revenues of an $8 billion semiconductor equipment manufacturing company.
- Acted as Financial Team Lead on the company’s conversion to an integrated SAP solution.
Verizon, Inc. (formerly GTE Corporation), Stamford, Connecticut 1988-1994
Compliance Auditor, GTE Overseas, Irving, Texas (1993-1994)
Reviewed various overseas investment opportunities for GTE; all business was conducted in Spanish.
- Reviewed the financial, fixed asset and inventory system for potential overseas acquisitions.
- Assisted in developing proposals for managing government-owned communications companies for GTE, Telefónica de España consortium and AMRESCO.
Financial Manager, GTE Overseas, Caracas, Venezuela (1992-1993)
Provided flowcharts, processes and procedures that supported the capital flow process.
- Developed the financial and management reporting system for GTE’s Latin Operations.
- Successfully managed the movement of $600 million in materials to Venezuela with only a $3 million write-off after one year (partially due to a coup attempt against the government).
Financial Manager – Asset Management, Working Capital, GTE Telephone Operations Headquarters, Westfield, Indiana (1991-1992)
Directed operations for 910 asset accounts worth $1.2 billion made up of 26 legal entities and managed a staff of 23. This division was responsible for $5 billion in revenue.
- Reduced GTE's warranty expense by $1.2 million through processing defects and returns 50% faster than previous methods.
- Decreased material and supply errors by locating and accounting for $12.7 million in lost materials.
Financial Analyst Supervisor – Asset Management (1990)
Managed the integration of the inventory system with the financial system.
- Decreased material and supply costs by 45% without weakening controls.
- Established up-front controls in the inventory and Point-of-Sales (POS) system, resulting in $1 million savings.
Senior Auditor, GTE Service Corporation, Tampa, Florida (1988-1990)
Managed audit personnel while planning, organizing, and administering audits for GTE.
- Evaluated the adequacy and effectiveness of the company's internal and financial controls.
- Participated on the audit team for the design and implementation phase of GTE’s billing system.
Deloitte & Touche, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Orlando, Florida 1986-1988
Reviewed financial statements for clients to ensure compliance with GAAP; supervised audit personnel. Reviewed internal controls for areas, including cash, property and accounts receivable. Installed billing and payable systems that reduced overhead cost by up to 50%.
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Accounting/Information Systems
Wentworth Military Academy, Lexington, Missouri
Associate of Science, Business
CPA Certificate #4340, Arkansas
In 1992, passed the Venezuela equivalency of the CMA exam
Eagle Scout, Scout Leader
West Travis County MUD #3 Board of Directors, Austin, Texas 1999-Present
Elected Official for a Utility District; oversee water/wastewater, drainage and wildlife preserve.
- Assisted in the negotiation and sale of the water/wastewater system to the LCRA.
- Created financial budgets for the Utility District and reviewed financial statements for submission to the Texas National Resource Commission.
Lake Travis Youth Association, Austin, Texas 1998-Present
Coached boys and girls, ranging from five to twelve. Sports include baseball, basketball and soccer.
Microsoft applications: EXCEL, Word, Access, PowerPoint, Windows and Explorer
Financial Software applications: SAP, Oracle 11, PeopleSoft, Hyperion, Timberline, Sage MIP and Great Plains
Other Software applications: WordPerfect, Lotus, Netscape, ACT, MAC O/S, and GroupWise
Report Writing Tools: SQL, Crystal, FRX, Cognos, and SAP’s Report Writer