Healthcare Financial Professional
A healthcare financial professional with more than 20 years of broad-based experience encompassing financial accounting and planning, decision support and reimbursement, with proven expertise in government reimbursement systems including Medicare, multi-state Medicaid and Short Doyle, as well as highly specialized programs that involve cost-based reimbursement clinic waiver programs, organ acquisition, graduate medical education, and Medicare and Medi-Cal disproportionate share hospital payments.
A respected manager who provides strategic direction, fosters learning opportunities and promotes a professional environment with a highly motivated staff.
Catholic Healthcare West, San Francisco, California 1999-2006
California Hospital Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
Manager of Decision Support and Financial Planning (2001-2006)
Reported to the chief financial officer with responsibility for decision support services and financial planning for a 316-bed, inner city, tertiary medical center with $700 million in annual revenue. Directed the preparation and defense of Medicare and Medi-Cal cost reports. Managed a support staff of two.
- Spearheaded the successful resolution of nine significant Medicare appeals, resulting in more than $5 million of additional reimbursement.
- Resolved several outstanding Medi-Cal cost report issues, resulting in $200,000 of additional revenue.
- Facilitated the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets by working closely with all levels of management, overseeing the timeline for completion and negotiating modifications to achieve corporate and entity financial goals.
- Oversaw the ongoing budget performance, created variance reports and produced analyses with the department manager's input. Authored action plans for improving financial performance and provided coaching to the operations team.
- Implemented a new system for productivity management (Visionware), including the establishment of labor standards. Created real time analyses with daily monitoring of productivity and improved manager reaction to controlling labor costs. Reduced FTEs from 5.8 to 5.0 per adjusted occupied bed.
- Managed the documentation of $3 million in annual Medi-Cal cost reimbursement for an outpatient clinic operated under the Los Angeles County cost-based reimbursement clinic waiver program.
St. Vincent Medical Center and California Hospital Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
Manager of Budget, Reimbursement and Decision Support (1999-2000)
Held Los Angeles market responsibility for financial services including reimbursement and decision support for two hospitals with 600 combined beds and more than $1 billion in revenue. Managed a support staff of three.
- Participated in the due diligence for the spin-off of St. Vincent Medical Center, involving the valuation of assets including accounts receivable and third party cost reports. Maintained and provided government correspondence for the acquiring entity.
- Filed two significant appeals to Medicare (representing $2 million) to protect appeal rights.
- Managed the documentation of $3 million in annual Medicare cost reimbursement for organ acquisition including kidney, pancreas, liver and heart.
Fountain View Inc., Burbank, California 1997-1999
Corporate Director of Reimbursement
Oversaw all reimbursement activities and special projects for a proprietary healthcare system that operated 36 skilled nursing facilities located throughout California, Arizona and Texas. Managed two reimbursement specialists. Spearheaded the successful resolution of more than 40 Medicare appeals, resulting in more than $1 million of additional reimbursement.
Brotman Medical Center, Culver City, California 1996-1997
Directed financial reporting, accounts payable and payroll for a proprietary, 400-bed, acute-care hospital with $400 million in revenue. Performed duties as Interim Chief Financial Officer during the search for a new CFO. Managed a staff of six.
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 1991-1996
Manager of General Accounting and Government Reporting
Directed financial reporting, accounts payable and payroll for a tax exempt, 300-bed, acute-care children's hospital with $400 million in revenue. Directed the preparation and defense of Medicare and Medi-Cal cost reports. Managed the documentation of $1 million per year in Medicare cost reimbursement for organ acquisition including kidney, heart and lung. Managed a staff of 15.
Coopers & Lybrand, Los Angeles, California 1983-1991
Manager of Health Care Services
Provided consulting services related to the preparation and defense of Medicare and Medi-Cal cost reports for more than 20 hospital, skilled nursing facility and home health agency clients throughout Southern California. Served as a reimbursement specialist for certified financial audits.
Began career as a budget manager for a tax exempt healthcare system and as a senior auditor for a Medicare fiscal intermediary.
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
Master of Business Taxation, 1977
California State University, Northridge, Northridge, California
Master of Science in Business Administration, Accounting, 1974
University of California, Riverside, Riverside, California
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Political Science, 1972
Certified Public Accountant in the State of California, 1988-Present
Certified as a Fellow of the Healthcare Financial Management Association, 1999-Present
Healthcare Financial Management Association, Southern California Chapter:
Founders Medal of Honor Recipient, 2000
Past President, 1999-2000
Received more than 10 honors and awards for contributions over 20 years.
Acknowledged as an editor for the Health Insurance Answer Book by John C. Garner.
Medi-Cal Sub Acute - Audit Impact of Part B Billing Issue, March 2005
The Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003, Outpatient PPS and Psychiatric PPS, March 2004
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants