A versatile facilities manager with 15 years of progressively increasing responsibilities managing large campuses with up to 11,925 students, faculty and staff for two major universities. Generated $1.65 million in savings through purchases and vendor negotiations. Managed 28 buildings, housing 3,520 residents with a staff of 38, generating $3.2 million in revenues.
Expertise includes outstanding skills in:
Loyola Marymount University (LMU), Los Angeles, California 2005-2008
Facilities Supervisor for Student Housing
Managed 18 student dormitories and apartment buildings housing 3,350 residents for an accredited university with 1,500 faculty/staff and 8,000 students.
- Managed facilities that generate a cash flow of $26.4 million in annual rentals.
- Sourced and selected 25 outside vendors that provided cleaning, repairs, furniture, carpeting, windows and fumigation services.
- Participated in the construction of two dormitories and one student apartment building housing 650 students. Oversaw room design and furnishing.
- Purchased more than $1.5 million in furniture, carpet, window treatments and lighting.
- Trained and supervised a maintenance, repair and installation staff of 14.
- Served as one of 20 university Judicial Officers individually hearing more than 100 cases annually. Sanctioned offending students, resulting in fines, community service, drug and alcohol counseling, and even eviction from student housing.
- Conducted semi-annual emergency evacuation training and drills for resident students, faculty and staff.
- Surveyed all apartments twice a year as well as prepared invoices for each student for repairs, collecting $75,000 annually.
- Scheduled all cleaning, repairs and installations on a daily basis.
- Scheduled the opening of three new facilities and the relocation of 650 students.
- Produced and maintained annual planning for present and future projects.
- Prepared weekly reports on all activities, purchasing, damage, repairs and staffing.
National-Louis University, Chicago/Evanston, Illinois 1993-2005
Campus Services Manager
Managed three office buildings, one 160-bed dormitory, one K-8 primary school and two large buildings with classrooms, offices, two theaters and a recreation facility with an Olympic swimming pool for a privately held accredited university with 325 faculty/staff and 2,100 students. Administered an annual operating budget of $750,000.
- Generated revenue of $800,000 annually by leasing campus facilities, including its dormitory, theaters, recreation facilities and classroom space.
- Hired, trained and supervised an administrative staff of 16 and a call center team of 4.
- Supervised a public safety staff of four.
- Sourced and selected outside vendors and contractors, providing furnishing and catering services for enrollment, alumni, fundraising and social events. Other vendors were sourced for theater lighting, sound services, choral and band equipment, and chemical lab services.
- Scheduled 50 classrooms, 15 meeting rooms, 4 computer labs, 2 recreational facilities and 2 theaters.
- Provided conflict mediation between students and university departments.
- Conducted emergency evacuation training and drills for 2,425 students, faculty and staff.
- Trained staff and faculty in the use of new campus systems, including e-mail, phone, and emergency alert and evacuation.
- Administered annual sexual harassment training programs and testing for 24 staff.
- Provided mentoring support for resident students of the PACE Program (students with multiple learning disabilities).
- Oversaw American Disability Act (ADA) regulations during major remodeling.
- Served as first point of contact for police and fire department personnel.
- Produced student, staff and faculty picture IDs and copy center debit cards, and maintained all databases.
- Proctored university entrance examinations.
Northern Trust Corporation, Chicago, Illinois 1980-1993
Investigations Officer (1987-1993)
Headed the Teller Investigation and Control Unit for loss prevention and recovery. Conducted 220 perfunctory audits annually on tellers, ATMs, large cash vaults and all negotiable instruments for four branches of a $700 billion trust fund company.
- Conducted internal theft and fraud investigations concerning cash shortages greater than $300 through examination of financial records, surveillance film, interviews and interrogations. Maintained a recovery rate of 100%.
- Created and presented a quarterly fraud, forgery and counterfeit presentation to 50 bank employees, in conjunction with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Teller Manager (1981-1987)
Supervised, scheduled, trained and evaluated a staff of 25 in lobby and drive-through banking, large currency vault, the Collections Department, and the ATM Department. Maintained $2.5 million in cash on hand, including negotiable instruments.
- Prevented loss to the financial institution by reconciling all teller transaction errors with a success rate of 100%.
- Made cash deposits and purchases with the Federal Reserve Bank.
- Developed and implemented the Teller Training Program with more than 75 participants.
- Developed and executed a non-exempt employee performance evaluation system.
- Completed and submitted all Currency Transaction Reports (CTR).
- Cross-sold financial services and products.
- Held individual approval authority for transactions of up to $250,000.
Loan Accountant (1980-1981)
Posted general ledger entries and reconciled sections of a $521 million mortgage loan portfolio, including investigations of differences to the ledger account.
- Prevented loss to the financial institution by working with customers to reconcile delinquent mortgage accounts.
Amling's Flowerland & Garden Center, Niles, Illinois 1985-1988
Assistant Night Manager/Cashier (Part-time, evening and weekend position)
Carried out all cashier functions, including bank drop preparation. Supervised and scheduled two other evening cashiers and two stock clerks. Oversaw the store closing each evening.
- Assisted customers to ensure correct selection of trees, shrubs, top soil and gardening supplies. Arranged delivery and placed specialty orders.
Felician College, Chicago, Illinois,
Bachelor of Arts, Administration
Other Courses: Banking courses, American Institute of Banking; Interviewing & Interrogation, John E. Reid & Associates
Western Association of College & University Housing Officers (WACUHO), Facilities Committee Chair (2005-2007)