Experienced Healthcare Business Development Professional
A versatile healthcare business development professional who has created, implemented and managed business units that have generated more than $5 million in revenues annually for acute-care hospitals with up to 450 beds. Areas of specialization have included bloodless medicine, hospital business development and physician relations.
Expertise includes project management, team building, marketing, community and physician relations, strategic planning, public speaking, managed care, grant writing, and other writing skills.
Methodist Hospital of Southern California, Arcadia, California 2002-2007
Manager, Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Department
Initiated a department devoted to accommodate patients with a preference for no blood transfusions in their medical treatment. Created policies and procedures, protocols, nursing and physician committees, and collateral materials for the staff and community to support the offering of this service as another reason for patients to choose Methodist Hospital. Methodist Hospital is a 450-bed, acute-care, not-for-profit medical center.
- Formed a Bloodless Medicine Implementation & Steering Committee made up of nursing, administration and physician staff. The committee set guidelines and monitored the implementation of this service at all levels in the hospital.
- Created a marketing plan that resulted in an inpatient increase of 39% in 2002, representing a revenue increase of 119% over the prior year.
- Outpatient services rose by 12.5% during 2002 with a revenue increase of 54%.
- Emergency visits increased by 6.4% during 2002 with a revenue increase of 21%.
- Over a five-year period, bloodless medicine cases increased by 30%; 140 physicians now offer this service to their patients and the community.
- Set up and administered training programs for more than 600 nurses and technical staff on how to handle bloodless medicine patients. The programs included policies and procedures as well as information on ethics and how to manage crises with families.
- Created and published hospital forms and physician orders to support bloodless services.
- Recommended different types of medication to the hospital's formulary.
- Recommended and implemented the use of smaller tubes for phlebotomy, decreasing excessive blood loss during blood tests.
- Created a quarterly newsletter for the medical staff, highlighting techniques, patient issues, journal abstracts and protocols.
- Secured $20,000 in education grants for the medical staff on anemia management, bloodless medicine techniques and pharmacology.
- Created and presented 15 seminars for the community with an attendance of 1,200.
- Visited five to ten hospital physicians per week to promote the bloodless medicine program and help them maintain or increase hospital referrals.
- Participated in physician relation visits with the executive team to solve retention problems and attract new physicians to the medical staff.
- Participated in adding and managing the bloodless medicine section to the hospital's website to attract more patients and serve as a resource.
- Created a database for the executive team for prospecting and problem resolution for physician retention and satisfaction.
- Played an instrumental role on the hospital's Bioethics and Tissue and Transfusion Committees.
- Decreased the use of EPO (Procrit) by 40%, a medicine used to stimulate the bone marrow to create more red blood cells, which alleviated its misuse in patients.
St. Luke Medical Center, Pasadena, California 2001-2002
Director, Bloodless Medicine and Surgery
Took over management of an existing bloodless medicine and surgery program for a Tenet Healthcare System acute-care hospital with 160 beds. The hospital was closed in January 2002. Served as a member of the hospital's bureau of speakers. Gave lectures to student nurses and local colleges as well as the community.
- Concentrated in developing the bloodless medicine program with 100 physicians by promoting services and information to the community in English and Spanish.
- Participated in physician relations with the executive team through weekly physician visits and resolved retention problems.
- Created Spanish marketing collateral for the large Hispanic community using the hospital's services.
Innuity e-Commerce, Inc. (Formerly ATS and Merchant Commerce), Santa Monica, California 1998-2001
Business Development Manager
Directed sales for an e-commerce company selling point-of-sale (POS) software, merchant accounts and payment processing services for credit cards, automated clearinghouse (ACH) transactions, and bill presentation and payment.
- Developed strategic partnerships with local banks and Internet hosting companies, providing merchant accounts and payment gateway services for their clients.
- Managed 300 accounts, including business promotion tools and implementation support.
- Organized and participated in trade shows, including ISPCON and COMDEX.
- Created marketing collateral and advertising.
- Implemented and managed CRM (Customer Relationship Management) and contact management software. Provided training and support to 15 sales associates.
- Created a reseller program that included private branding, increasing company sales by 60%.
Maly's, Inc., Sun Valley, California 1997-1998
Managed accounts and sales for a salon supply company selling products and equipment, and provided business seminars on customer service, marketing and customer retention.
- Built and managed more than 300 customers.
- Realized sales increases of up to 70% in less than one year in an abandoned territory.
- Provided business seminars to 35 salon owners in the Los Angeles and Riverside area.
- Presented ten lectures on customer service and marketing to local colleges.
Nene Quality Baby Products, Inc., City of Commerce, California 1996-1997
Regional Sales Manager
Managed a sales force and key accounts for a small startup company manufacturing baby furniture and bedding supplies sold to distributors.
- Attained more than 100 new accounts during the first year, representing $800,000 with margins of 50%.
- Implemented and launched the company's first customer management software.
- Negotiated partnerships with important furniture and toy manufacturers and distributors.
- Participated on the research and development team that added eight new products.
- Obtained and managed 20 Latin market accounts, including La Popular Furniture Company.
- Set up and managed national trade show exhibitions and sales to other furniture retailers.
Yarborough & Company, Inc., Rancho Cucamonga, California 1995-1996
Managed California sales for a furniture manufacturing and bedding supply company with headquarters in North Carolina.
- Generated more than $50,000 sales per month.
- Opened up the Hispanic market in the greater Los Angeles area.
- Expanded the company's volume of bedding supplies sales by 30%.
Southern Wine & Spirits, Inc., Cerritos, California 1992-1995
Sold and merchandised wine and spirits in the chain division and off-sale market in Southern California for the largest wine and spirit distributor in the world. Led the company in chain division sales. Promoted to the off-sale division and became one of its top performers.
Glendale College, Glendale, California
Business courses, 1986
Eagle Rock High School, Eagle Rock, California
Society for the Advancement of Blood Management