Successful Credit, Collection & Claims Manager
A highly successful credit, collection and claims manager with more than 20 years of progressively increasing responsibilities for leading banking, fresh produce and manufacturing companies. Personally oversaw the collections of more than $6 billion.
Expertise includes outstanding collections, credit analysis, computer and software, interpersonal, communications, legal, financial, accounting, operational and analytical skills.
Ready Pac Produce, Inc., Irwindale, California 1989-2005
Corporate Credit, Collection & Claims Manager
Directed a Collection & Credit Department for a $700 million privately held fresh-cut produce company.
- Negotiated and processed transportation claims for packaged and raw produce amounting to $800,000 annually with a 97% return on losses rate.
- Interacted with all corporate departments concerning shipments, incoming materials, proof of deliveries, credit worthiness of new customers and risk management.
- Maintained a near perfect record on collections with a 99.99% success rate over 16 years.
- Maintained days sales outstanding (DSO) for up to six facilities between 17 to 22 days. Note, industry standards are 24 to 25 days.
- Hired and trained 12 collection, credit and claims staff.
- Created policies and procedures for processing claims, credit, collections and deductions.
- Maintained a record of legitimate deductions lower than 5% of sales.
- Set payment terms for more than 1,000 customers located in Canada, Japan, Taiwan, Mexico, Hawaii and the Continental U.S.A.
- Managed company listings with Dunn & Bradstreet, Blue Book, Red Book, Hoovers, Expedia and all credit agencies.
- Administered licenses with the United States Department of Agriculture.
- Participated on numerous committees concerning updates to computers, acquisitions, partnerships, transitions into mergers and any major changes to the customer database.
- Prepared daily and annual cash flow projections.
- Worked with auditors to control credit collections and accounts receivable.
- Prepared monthly brokers' commissions.
Wells Fargo Bank (formerly First Interstate Bank), Pasadena, California 1982-1988
Collections Manager, Denver, Colorado (1984-1988)
Processed nine asset-based company bankruptcies for five offices amounting to more than $900 million in lost loans.
- Recovered more than 80% of Chapters 11 and seven cases amounting to $750 million.
- Dealt with bankruptcy courts all over the U.S.A. and interfaced regularly with Trustees.
- Arranged with auctioneers to dispose of inventories, attorneys to execute judgments and sheriffs to collect products.
- Prepared all reports for bank and bankruptcy courts.
- Interfaced with local, state and federal government agencies.
Collections Manager, Nanuet, New York (1982-1984)
Oversaw collections for 900 accounts with loans amounting to more than $1 billion including manufacturers, loggers, paper mills, trucking companies, retailers, wholesalers, medical supplies and smaller companies. Managed two collection assistants.
- Averaged collections of more than 98%.
- Interfaced with loan officers, sheriffs, attorneys and local courts.
Credit and Collections Manager for a manufacturer of hardware supplies and Assistant Credit and Collections Manager for an equipment rental firm. Began career as an Investigator for a leading credit reporting agency and was a Supervisor in a bank Credit Department.
Pace College, New York, New York
Bachelor of Science, Business Management
American Institute of Banking, New York, New York
Certificate in Banking
Nassau Community College, Bethpage, Long Island, New York
Accounting and Finance courses
Other courses: Sarbanes-Oxley Regulations, the New Bankruptcy Reform Act, Leadership and Management
Awards for Employee of the Year, Ready Pac Produce, Inc.
Awards for Recommendations for Improvements and New Products, Ready Pac Produce, Inc.
Credit Managers Association of California and Nevada, former Board Member
National Association of Credit Managers
Zebra, Fraternal Organization for Credit Managers, former Board Member