Versatile Chief Financial Officer
A versatile chief financial officer with extensive experience in leading finance and accounting operations for a variety of companies in the aircraft, medical, online gaming, furniture, consumer products and service industries. Consistently led initiatives that improved reporting processes, reduced accounting costs and provided management with more useful information for operations and planning.
Expertise includes outstanding finance, accounting, legal, banking, mergers and acquisition, SEC and IT skills.
YouBet.com, Inc., Woodland Hills, California 2003-2005
Chief Financial Officer (2004-2005)
Vice President, Finance (2003)
Managed all accounting, financial and treasury functions for a public online gaming company with $60 million in revenues and 82 staff. Worked closely with the company's corporate general counsel.
- Implemented Sarbanes-Oxley compliance throughout the company.
- Streamlined the financial reporting process, reducing the financial statement closing by eight days.
- Established a cash management program that generated interest income of more than $1 million per year.
- Established a working capital line of credit of up to $8 million at 5% interest and an acquisition line of credit at 9% interest.
- Led the initiative that increased the institutional investment percentage from 8% to 40%.
- Completed the repayment of a $2 million loan 14 months in advance, saving $400,000 in annual interest expense.
- Automated the customer winning payouts process, saving 15 hours a week in staff time.
- Performed due diligence on acquisition targets.
- Coordinated the financial integration of an acquired company.
The Plastic Surgery Company, Inc., Santa Barbara, California 2001-2003
Managed accounting functions for the corporate and subsidiary companies of a public plastic surgery management company with $40 million in revenues. Acted as the company's in-house counsel.
- Improved the closing process from 20 days down to 10 days.
- Brought the company into compliance with SEC reporting requirements.
- Implemented accounting systems and financial reporting procedures for four subsidiaries.
- Established cash budget forecast models that reduced cash shortages.
- Managed the company's IT operations including an upgrade to the computer system, eliminating downtime.
- Transitioned the company's assets to a new owner without interruption of services.
- As a result of the Arthur Anderson failure, selected a new company auditor.
AVTEL Services, Inc., Mojave, California 2000-2001
Chief Financial Officer and Corporate Secretary
Managed all accounting and financial operations for a $40 million aircraft service, maintenance and storage company.
- Implemented a new financial reporting package providing tools to measure performance vs. budget and prior year.
- Reduced the time for closing by 40%.
- Oversaw the company's IT operations including the reconstruction of the company's local area network which reduced downtime significantly.
- Participated in negotiating a revolving receivable line of credit.
- Reorganized workflow, improving the utilization and productivity of existing staff.
Barn Furniture Mart, Inc., Los Angeles, California 1996-2000
Chief Financial Officer (1999-2000)
Directed finance and accounting operations for a furniture manufacturer and distributor selling to retail and the restaurant trade with $18 million in sales and five locations in Southern California.
- Developed a new financial reporting package that improved closing times and provided highly accurate reports.
- Increased retail sales by 10% through a new incentive compensation plan for managers.
- Established new banking relationships resulting in lower interest expense as well as increased availability.
- Reduced outside accountant fees by 50%.
- Acted as in-house counsel, saving outside legal fees.
- Led the selection and oversaw the complete installation of a new 6,000 square foot retail store.
Lockheed Corporation, Corporate Offices, Calabasas, California 1985-1995
Manager, Financial Accounting Policies and Administration
Manager, Financial Reporting
Managed internal and external financial reporting for a public $8 billion aerospace defense company with 80,000 employees.
- Managed two accounting system improvement programs. The first automated manual functions and the second consolidated financial statements, resulting in a 50% reduction in reporting time.
- Represented the Controller on three successful acquisitions amounting to $2 billion.
- Directed a process improvement team that developed instructions for sharing contract work among the company's business units. This created more effective use of the company's resources.
- Participated in a major revision to the general ledger and all accessory modules that resulted in higher productivity for the accounting staff with more time for analysis of results.
- Directed the preparation of financial sections of ten consecutive annual reports.
- Represented the company in a number of Government audits of expense categories that resulted in no deficiencies.
- Developed and revised corporate-wide accounting and financial policies that standardized these functions among 100 business units.
- Automated the tracking of stock options for 20,000 employees that reduced reporting time by two weeks and permitted going from quarterly to monthly reports. The reports were distributed to all officers of the company.
Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Los Angeles, California 1976-1985
First assignments included audits of brokerage firms and transfer agents. Subsequently, conducted investigations for violations of SEC laws. Finally, reviewed registration statements to ensure adequate disclosure in compliance with Federal Securities Laws.
- Assisted the U.S. Attorney's office in developing two criminal cases that resulted in successful prosecutions and convictions.
- Trained five examiners on implementation of the new transfer agent audit program and numerous staff members to use personal computers.
- Became the first person in the State of California to be certified as a CPA exclusively with SEC experience.
Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, California
Juris Doctor Degree
California State University, Northridge, Northridge, California
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Accounting Option
Certified Public Accountant, State of California, License No. E34230
University of California, Los Angeles, Extension Program, Los Angeles, California
Instructor, Federal Securities Section of the Attorney Assistant/Paralegal Program, 1985-2001
Becker CPA Examination Review Course, Los Angeles, California