Executive Administrative Assistant
A highly experienced executive administrative assistant with more than 20 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in working for the executive branch of a major Los Angeles university.
A reliable and dedicated professional thoroughly experienced in all secretarial duties and office management, with outstanding skills in recruitment and training of staff, scheduling, correspondence, event planning, travel arrangements, purchasing, budget management, reporting, and resolving sensitive problems of staff, faculty and students.
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 1981-2007
Executive Assistant to the Dean (2000-2007)
Executive Assistant to the President (1995-2000)
Executive Secretary (1989-1995)
Office Manager (1987-1989)
Administrative Assistant (1985-1987)
Senior Secretary (1982-1985)
Senior Clerk Typist/Receptionist (1981-1982)
Provided administrative support to the highest level of administrators within the university. Through a series of promotions, worked for the President followed by the Dean of the College of Medicine. The university is a private, non-profit institution with up to 1,000 students, 1,500 faculty/researchers and an $80 million annual budget.
- Made arrangements for VIP University visitors, including travel, reimbursement, lodging, scheduling and events.
- Supervised and directed the work of other secretaries and assistants.
- Ensured that office activities were in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Coordinated activities among departments and offices concerning meetings and events for receptions and presentations from government, business and educational organizations.
- Purchased supplies and printing of collateral materials to support presentations.
- Chaired the University Year-End Celebration. Served on the University's committees for the National Medical Association Convention, Jazz at Drew, University Commencement, Western Association of Schools & Colleges and State of University Address.
- Participated in establishing the first university-wide filing system covering more than 50 offices and departments.
- Participated on the Dr. Charles R. Drew U.S. Postage Stamp Committee in honor of its first day issuance.
- Served as an advanced team member of Dr. Reed V. Tuckson's Presidential Inauguration Committee by hosting Dr. and Mrs. Henry Williams, Interim President, during his participation in the ceremony.
- Served as Emergency Disaster Coordinator for the Executive Offices.
- Handled university complaints from staff, faculty and visitors.
- Made domestic and foreign travel arrangements for the executive staff, including reimbursement of expenses.
- Established a departmental filing system for the Dean's office.
- Coordinated calendars of key executives.
- Managed a purchasing budget of $50,000 annually.
- Processed incoming mail, typed correspondence and provided other secretarial duties.
- Managed petty cash for the Executive Office Department.
- Arranged meeting facilities on and off-campus.
University of California, Los Angeles, Extension, Los Angeles, California
Course in Conflict Resolution
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California
Courses in Disaster Coordination, Sexual Harassment and CPR
Southwest Community College, Los Angeles, California
One year general education curriculum
Washington Adult School, Atlanta, Georgia
California State Assembly Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding work for the California State Legislature
Appreciation Award in recognition for more than 25 years of service at Charles R. Drew University
Five Awards for Outstanding Employee at Charles R. Drew University