An executive assistant with more than 20 years of experience in providing administrative support to senior management and board members with responsibility for calendar management, event planning, preparation of communications and correspondence, and representation to the public and community for major organizations.
A detail-oriented professional who willingly accepts assignments, communicates effectively with all levels of staff, management and the public, and manages multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Long Beach Memorial Medical Center (LBMMC), Long Beach, California 1974-Present
Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer (1992-Present)
Provided executive administrative support to the chief executive officer of two hospitals with 770 combined licensed beds, the second largest medical center on the West Coast. Responsible for calendar management, board of directors communications and event planning, triage of media inquiries, and initial response to physician and patient issues. Served as a liaison to the community and represented the office of the chief executive officer at community events and service clubs. Supervised two executive office secretaries and served as a resource for the administrative staff and multiple departments within the medical center.
- Played a key role in the planning and coordination of the company's 100th anniversary celebration events, including the creation of the invitation list with 1,250 physicians and 2,000 community members, mailings, RSVPs, and assistance with related committee meetings.
- Coordinated an annual trustee luncheon and educational event that honored members of five boards from LBMMC and Miller Children's Hospital. Managed catering, facilities setup, invitations, program agenda, speaker arrangements, registration and administrative support at the event.
- Facilitated involvement in the Leadership Long Beach program, including sponsorship of the annual graduation event. Handled catering and facilities arrangements.
- Updated and maintained Excel databases on contact information for 250 board of trustees members, staff and government officials.
- Collected materials and made preparations for executive team meetings that included financial reports, committee reports and prior meeting minutes. Scheduled speakers as requested and managed the facilities and audiovisual setup.
- Completed and distributed minutes for up to ten meetings per month.
- Planned and budgeted company events such as staff dinners and holiday parties.
- Compiled records of board actions and historical documents for the Joint Commission on Accreditation for Hospitals' review.
- Served as community liaison with the Long Beach Chamber of Commerce. Coordinated the company's involvement with charitable events and organizations.
- Triaged customer complaints by handling them directly or routing them to the appropriate resources for timely and appropriate resolution.
- Trained new employees on phone systems and office procedures.
- Assisted in editing the company newsletters, Memorial Matters and Miller Matters, as well as quarterly reports to the corporate board.
- Coordinated the reconfiguration of the executive office staff support work space with the interior designer in order to improve functionality and ambiance.
Executive Secretary to the Senior Vice President/Administrator (1989-1992)
Transitioned to support the senior vice president of LBMMC. Managed calendar, coordinated meetings with community groups, assisted with physician activities, and participated on the organizational chart's redesign.
- Consulted on the development of the organizational chart, involving 20 departments.
Executive Secretary to the Senior Vice President Construction and Facilities (1986-1989)
Oversaw budgets for multimillion-dollar construction projects by verifying billing and change orders as well as compiling expense ledgers. Responsible for emphasizing budget accountability for contractors and subcontractors on new building projects, including the administrative services building, the radiation oncology center and the outpatient surgery center at LBMMC as well as the medical office building and women's center at Saddleback Memorial Hospital. Reported to the corporate vice president for a healthcare system with three hospitals.
- Compiled weekly and monthly status reports on the company's priority construction projects.
- Participated on the campus and facilities subcommittee of the board and provided updates to the board.
- Transcribed and typed correspondence, reviewed board meeting minutes, and triaged mail and phone calls.
Administrative Secretary to the Associate Medical Director of the Women's Hospital (1981-1985)
Maintained the associate medical director's schedule and typed articles for publication in medical journals to receive national recognition for research.
- Scheduled high-risk patient appointments and triaged office visitors for scheduling priority.
- Worked closely with the labor and delivery department to make sure physicians, neonatologists and anesthesiologists were on call.
- Scheduled and conducted orientation for new perinatal fellows.
Admitting Representative and Patient Financial Counselor (1974-1981)
Prepared patients' admitting packets and verified insurance according to the diagnosis.
- Performed the process of admitting patients directly to appropriate floor and coordinated bed placement with the physician and nursing staff.
Nebraska Wesleyan University, Lincoln, Nebraska
Bachelor of Arts, Elementary Education, Emphasis in Business, 1972
Experienced in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and internet research.
Bellflower Friendship Manor, Board Member for six years, Board Chair for two years
Bellflower Civic Chorus
American Cancer Society Relay for Life