L. MICHAEL SMITH
14920 Running Brook Way
Chino Hills, California 91709
Residence: (909) 597-8889
Office: (626) 444-4000 ext. 665
A versatile mechanical engineer with extensive experience in product development, quality assurance and manufacturing processes for an instruments manufacturer with commercial, military and aerospace clients. Participated in the design of products that generated $225 million sales with gross profits of $50 million.
Expertise includes comprehensive product design, customer relations, manufacturing and quality control. An engineering manager that can handle multi-task projects with ease. Extensive ISO 9000 experience.
Process Controls: Fully knowledgeable in SPC, JIT, KANBAN, TQM, QFD, FMEA, Process Maps, DOE, and GR&R quality and manufacturing tools.
Software: Word, Excel, Project, ACT, ASK & CTP MIS, VISIO, Timeline, Power Point, AMI Pro, Quattro Pro, Auto CAD, Auto Trol, and SPC.
Honeywell, Inc., HyCal Sensing Products 1979-Present
El Monte, California
Quality Assurance Manager (1995-Present)
Manage quality assurance for a sensor manufacturing division with sales of $17 million. Developed and implemented policies, procedures and processes to support manufacturing, engineering and marketing that met ISO 9001 requirements.
- Obtained and maintained ISO 9001 certification for the division and conducted internal quality audits. Trained 15 engineers and managers in ISO 9001 internal audit procedures.
- Supported the release of more than 50 new products that make up 75% of the company's present sales.
- Qualified 318 existing and new suppliers to meet the company's new ISO 9001 standards.
- Developed and implemented new manufacturing and operating procedures.
- Prepared and presented a semi-annual quality status report to senior management.
- Trained company personnel in quality control procedures, product application and manufacturing techniques.
- Carried out product qualification tests and first article submissions to OEM customers.
- Managed the service department and responded to customer product questions.
- Conducted failure analyses to determine root cause for product improvement.
- Verified product testing and code software.
Process Re-engineering Manager (1995)
Evaluated manufacturing processes for high-volume products and suggested and implemented two significant product modifications saving 100% on failures and increasing productivity by 50%.
- Integrated JIT flow manufacturing into all high volume and repetitive products.
- Reduced manufacturing costs by developing alternative assembly techniques including tooling and fixtures.
- Evaluated current product designs and standardized configurations that created structured product families.
- Consolidated bills of material and reconfigured product families on order entry modules, streamlining routing sheets.
Engineering & Design Supervisor (1993-1995)
Directed 45 new product development projects with a team of nine engineers. Assisted with more than 1,000 customer inquires concerning use of company products.
- Directed and coordinated engineering projects and processes. Interfaced with manufacturing for product release and/or changes.
Design & Drafting Supervisor (1983-1993)
Integrated and implemented a new Computer Aided Design (CAD) system. Led the team that developed and implemented the technical database for the Management Information System.
- Developed the mechanical design and documentation for a 60-channel temperature monitoring system that was used by the U.S. Navy.
- Integrated the thin film resistance temperature chip (RTD) into the product line replacing wire wound RTDs, saving the company $10.00 per sensor representing $480,000 per year.
- Developed heat flux, temperature, humidity, and dew point sensors products. Originated the mechanical designs for electronic transmitters, read-out devices, power supplies and alarm systems. The designs increased product reliability, manufacturability and met cost targets. This permitted the company to grow in sales from $4 million in 1983 to $14 million in 1993 with profit margins of $4.5 million per year.
- Managed the product configuration to adapt company products to customer needs.
- Directed the documentation control process for engineering changes.
Mechanical Design Engineer (1979-1983)
Designed and developed heat flux, temperature, humidity, and dew point sensors. Defined material finishes, adhesives and potting materials. Selected wires and cables. Made recommendations on wire terminations, harness assemblies and packaging.
Meilink Bank Equipment, Bridgeman Division 1976-1979
Designed and drafted engineering drawings of safety deposit boxes, steel vaults and vault doors for a manufacturer of bank equipment. Prepared installation plans for pneumatic drive-up systems, working drawings for trench details, alarm systems installations, wiring diagrams, conduit plans and closed circuit TV layouts.
Engineering College, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Bachelor of Science Degree, Mechanical Engineering
Successfully completed the ISO 9000 Lead Assessor Training; passed the IQA required examination, 1996
Just-in-Time, Institute of Technology, Demand Flow Technology, 1995
Dale Carnegie Interpersonal Skills, 1993
Licensed by the State of California as an Engineer-in-Training, 1982
Other Certificates: Supervision, Project Management, Management Skills, Pneumatic & Hydraulic Systems and Professional Engineer Training